Nick Kyrgios and Ajla Tomljanović fly flag for Australia as US Open draws open up

So much has occurred for Australian tennis gamers at Flushing Meadows prior to now 38 years. There was heartbreak and breakthroughs, near-misses and titles. Sam Stosur went all the way in which in 2011, Lleyton Hewitt in 2001, Pat Rafter in 1997 and ‘98.

One factor, although, hasn’t occurred. Australia has not had each a person and girl within the remaining eight of the US Open singles competitors on the identical time. Not since Pat Money and Wendy Turnbull in 1984.

In 2022, Nick Kyrgios and Ajla Tomljanović have ensured it would happen once more, with each to proceed their tilt in earnest on Wednesday morning (AEST). And the purple patch may but proceed, as the sharp finish of the draw opens up for each gamers.

Kyrgios, on the quick observe to qualifying for a second consecutive grand slam remaining after his run to this yr’s Wimbledon decider, is in a wealthy vein of type after beautiful world No 1 Daniil Medvedev in 4 units on Monday. The 27-year-old’s fourth-round win not solely means he strikes again into the world’s prime 20 but additionally that he replaces Alex de Minaur as Australia’s No 1.

He'll subsequent meet one other Russian in twenty seventh seed Karen Khachanov, who has a 1-1 file in opposition to Kyrgios however is backing up from a taxing five-setter in opposition to Spaniard Pablo Carreño Busta.

Success in opposition to Khachanov will imply a semi-final in opposition to thirteenth seed Matteo Berrettini or fifth seed Casper Ruud. Given Rafael Nadal’s loss to American Frances Tiafoe on Tuesday, the only real favorite on the opposite aspect of the draw is now Carlos Alcaraz.

“Now I’ve received two in opposition to two high quality opponents I’ve been in a position to showcase [my talent],” Kyrgios mentioned. “There’s lots of celebrities right here, lots of necessary folks right here watching. I needed to get on that court docket and present them I'm able to put my head down and play and win these huge matches.

“For the tennis world I feel it’s necessary as effectively. Folks had been actually beginning to doubt my skill to drag out matches like this at majors. It hasn’t been simple coping with all of the criticism. I’m simply pleased with the way in which that I’ve bounced again after every little thing, actually. I’ve been in some actually powerful conditions mentally, and in some actually scary locations.

“I simply sat there within the locker room after and I’m simply tremendous pleased with the efficiency as a result of there was actually a time the place I didn’t suppose I used to be able to producing and doing this any extra.”

Tomljanović is on a equally head-turning roll, having ended Serena Williams’s adorned profession in spherical three earlier than executing a round-of-16 fightback from 5-2 down within the first set in opposition to Liudmila Samsonova to say it on a tie-break after which beat the Russian 6-1 within the second set. The win ensures her a career-high rating contained in the world’s prime 35.

The 29-year-old will now face Tunisian fifth seed and Wimbledon finalist Ons Jabeur on the hunt for maiden a grand slam semi-final berth, within the information she has the resilience to win underneath the highlight. Defeat Jabeur, and Tomljanović will face both American twelfth seed Coco Gauff or French seventeenth seed Caroline Garcia within the semis.

Whereas reluctant to correctly contemplate her probabilities of going all the way in which, she acknowledged her success has introduced with it extra ambition.

“I positively don’t have the sensation that possibly I had final yr the place I used to be possibly just a little bit ­glad with making the quarters at majors for the primary time,” she mentioned. “Now I’m clearly nice and completely satisfied – first time within the US Open – however I’m feeling nonetheless actually hungry, which I like.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post