Roger Federer announces retirement from professional tennis after next week’s Laver Cup

Federer will bow out of tennis next week
Federer will bow out of tennis subsequent week (Image: Getty)

Roger Federer has introduced he'll retire from tennis after the Laver Cup subsequent week.

The Swiss icon will bow out as certainly one of his sport’s most celebrated and profitable gamers, having received 20 grand slams throughout an expert profession spanning 24 years.

Federer has not competed since Wimbledon in 2021, present process knee surgical procedure later that yr and lacking this yr’s grand slams whereas he continued his restoration.

He had remained hopeful of constructing a return. However at 41, he admits accidents at the moment are taking their toll, asserting his resolution to name time on his profession on Thursday afternoon.

He stated in a press release: ‘To my tennis household and past, of all of the presents that tennis has given me through the years, the best, indisputably, has been the individuals I’ve met alongside the best way: my associates, my opponents, and most of all of the followers who give the game its life.

‘Right this moment, I need to share some information with you all.

‘As a lot of , the previous three years have introduced me with challenges within the type of accidents and surgical procedures. I’ve labored onerous to return to full aggressive kind.

Federer won Wimbledon eight times
Federer received Wimbledon eight instances (Image: Getty)


Roger Federer in Numbers

– grand slam titles
– grand slam finals
– consecutive appearances in grand slam semi-finals from 2004 to 2010
– consecutive appearances in grand slam quarter-finals
– consecutive grand slam appearances from 2000 to 2016
– Wimbledon titles, essentially the most of any man
– Australian Open titles
– US Open titles
– French Open title
– profession matches received out of 1,526
– match wins in grand slams
– consecutive appearances at Wimbledon
– weeks spent at world primary, 237 of them consecutively
– at 36 years and 320 days, he was the oldest world No.1 in ATP historical past
– Federer has reached the ultimate at each grand slam a minimum of 5 instances
– profession titles, second within the Open period behind Jimmy Connors
– titles received on the ATP Finals, an all-time document
– titles received on the ATP occasions in Basle and Halle
– titles received in 2006, his most profitable season
92 – matches received from 97 performed in 2006
– consecutive matches received on grass from 2003 to 2008
– Federer reached the finals of all of the grand slams in three completely different seasons
– losses to his nice rival Rafael Nadal from 40 matches

‘However I additionally know my physique’s capacities and restrict, and its message to me recently has been clear.

‘I'm 41 years previous. I've performed greater than 1500 matches over 24 years. Tennis has handled me extra generously than I ever would have dreamt, and now I have to recognise when it's time to finish my aggressive profession.

The Laver Cup subsequent week in London will likely be my ultimate ATP occasion. I'll play extra tennis sooner or later, in fact, however simply not in Grand Slams on the tour.’


What tennis legends have stated about Roger Federer

‘If you wish to be a tennis participant, then mould your self on Roger Federer. I received three Wimbledon titles and I want I may play like him’ – .

‘The physique of labor is phenomenal and now he has received that French Open and I feel he can simply go on and sip Margaritas for the remainder of his life’ –

‘One of the simplest ways to beat him can be to hit him over the pinnacle with a racket’ –

‘If he’s taking part in excellent, I've to play unbelievable. If not, it’s unattainable. When he’s 100 per cent, he’s taking part in in one other league. It’s unattainable to cease him’ –

‘I don’t assume you'll be able to at all times, or you'll be able to ever, get your recreation to perfection. Solely in case you are Federer’ –

‘I can cry like Roger, it’s only a disgrace I can’t play like him’ –

Subsequent week’s Laver Cup occasion in London, starting on Friday 23 September and concluding on Sunday, will likely be his ultimate ATP occasion.

Federer is Wimbledon’s most profitable male participant, having received at SW19 eight instances throughout his glittering profession.

He additionally counts six Australian Opens, 5 US Opens and a French Open amongst his listing of extraordinary achievements, having received Olympic gold in doubles motion at Beijing 2008 and silver in singles at London 2012.

.

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post