The Big Questions: Mollie King on her pregnancy, anxiety and being a ‘proper nerd’

WThe Large QuestionsMollie King

Mollie is a complete all-rounder, having discovered success in the whole lot from music to presenting and podcasting.

First rising to fame as a member of The Saturdays, Mollie has gone on to host her personal BBC Radio 1 present, Future Pop, and is the co-presenter of the newly-rebooted Beaty and the Geek with Matt Edmonson.

She has over a dozen high 10 UK hits underneath her belt from her time with the lady group, the place she carried out alongside Frankie Bridge, Una Healy, Rochelle Humes and Vanessa White.

The band have been on hiatus since 2014, and whereas Mollie lately revealed she would ‘by no means say by no means’ to a reunion, the star presently has a chock-a-block work schedule.

On high of the whole lot, the star can also be getting ready to welcome her first youngster with fiancé Stuart Broad.

mollie king
Mollie King has loved success in the whole lot from music and radio to TV presenting (Image: WireImage)



‘Not likely, no! I imply, I wouldn’t actually classify myself as anyone that’s well-known. I believe that I’m lucky that when individuals do come as much as me, they are typically actually beautiful. And so they would possibly touch upon the radio present that I do, or point out The Saturdays or one thing. But it surely’s onerous to type of consider your self as well-known.

‘I believe that, you understand, I’m very regular. I nonetheless do issues precisely the identical as everyone else. It’s onerous to type of put your self into that class, I’d say.

‘It was type of a mixture of feelings. I used to be so excited as a result of… I’ve needed a household ever since I can keep in mind. So to have the ability to really say, “we’re pregnant and that we’re having a child” was so extremely thrilling.

‘However I'm additionally anyone who could be very anxious. I simply didn’t wish to do something too quickly, as a result of I didn’t wish to jinx something. It’s a kind of issues that you simply don’t know the way quickly to announce it or share it with everyone. However we’ve been so nicely, we felt extraordinarily grateful that we’re on this place and are very fortunate.

‘Actually each evening I get into mattress, and I’m like, “I can’t consider there’s a bit of child rising in me,” and Stuart is simply precisely the identical. We’ve been grinning ear to ear, the truth that we’re lucky sufficient to be on this place. It’s one thing that we’re simply taking week by week, and we’re having plenty of scans and the NHS have been wonderful. They’ve actually taken care of us.

‘We're actually excited. But it surely did really feel fairly nerve-wracking, placing the publish up and sharing it with everybody, that’s for certain.’

mollie king and stuart pregnancy announcement
The mum-to-be can’t wait to satisfy her first youngster with fiance Stuart (Image: mollieking )

‘Oh, simply a lot! The type of on a regular basis actions. I’ve received two older sisters who each have youngsters, and I simply beloved watching them flip into mums. It’s simply been wonderful, they’ve been so supportive with answering all of my questions, as a result of I’ve had so many.

‘However I simply wish to maintain my infant in my arms. In the intervening time I’m feeling kicks and I’m feeling actions in there. However I’m past excited and can't wait to really maintain them in my arms, simply to have the ability to have a look at them. I’m actually enthusiastic about that.

‘And perhaps taking them right down to the park with my canine, Alfie. Simply little bits like that, nothing overly fancy. Simply having a bit of one. It’s going to be wonderful.’

‘It’s been such a busy time since we received engaged, we’re additionally making an attempt to maneuver home and clearly we’ve had the good child information. So you may think about there’s been plenty of type of juggling occurring.

‘We're nonetheless very a lot planning it. It’s nonetheless positively on the forefront of our minds however over the previous few months, we positively turned our focus to the newborn and getting the whole lot prepared.

‘However it's one thing we will’t wait to do. I can’t wait to stroll down the aisle and marry Stuart. However for the time being, our focus is simply having a cheerful and wholesome child after which hopefully the newborn will be capable of be with us on our huge day.’

mollie king and stuart broad
Mollie and Stuart turned engaged final 12 months, with Mollie admitting she ‘can’t wait’ to stroll up the aisle (Image: Getty Photographs)

‘I’m feeling very completely happy and fortunate and contented. I’ve simply received Magnificence and the Geek launching this weekend, which actually, has been such a purpose of mine for years and years.

‘As a result of I do the present at Radio One with Matt Edmondson, we get on so nicely, we’re actually like brother and sister. And we’ve thought for fairly a while now that it’d be enjoyable to do what we do on the radio, however on TV. So for years, we’ve been desirous about what the suitable tasks may be. And once we have been requested to do Magnificence and the Geek it simply felt like the proper alternative.

‘I’ve had a lot enjoyable filming that present! I’ve by no means laughed a lot. The contestants have been simply so heat and bubbly and open and trustworthy.

‘Folks love nostalgia, lots of people keep in mind it from years and years in the past. I used to look at it with my sisters once we have been youngsters. So the truth that it’s coming again I believe is basically thrilling.

mollie king and matt edmonson
First co-hosting on BBC Radio One, Mollie and Matt are taking to TV with the reboot of Magnificence and the Geek (Image: Bauer Media)

‘I believe that this sequence does have fairly a unique really feel to it than the unique one.

‘It’s extremely celebratory of each the geek and the wonder, and it feels very heat. It’s one of many funniest issues I’ve ever been part of it’s, it’s so joyful, and you'll simply see how a lot the contestants study from one another and what a journey everybody goes on.

‘Folks hate the phrase ‘journey’, however you actually really feel just like the contestants beloved their time on the present… the truth that they’re all nonetheless on WhatsApp teams collectively, all nonetheless following one another on Instagram, it simply reveals like what a heat surroundings it was.

‘You’ll fall in love with the characters as a result of they’re all simply so genuine and so they’re so actual. I simply hope that individuals find it irresistible as a lot as I do.’

‘100% sure, I'm a geek by way of and thru!

‘I believe that all of us have some geek in us. It’s simply how a lot we're keen to type of share with everyone. However I'm an entire dork! I like enjoying chess, I’ve signed as much as play chess on-line with individuals.

‘And I like simply doing actually geeky issues. I like making a PowerPoint presentation and being fairly organised with charts and tables. Even after I was youthful and I used to dream of being in a pop band, I used to attract up charts of pop stars and who their managers have been, who their report labels have been, who have been the songwriters and the producers of a few of their largest hits – like I'm a correct nerd.’

mollie king
‘Absolute geek’ Mollie loves charts, PowerPoint shows and enjoying chess (Image: WireImage)

‘I actually really feel for artists for the time being as a result of it's demanding when it comes to the schedules. I believe being in a band and having the ability to do the whole lot with 4 different women simply eased that load.

‘I used to be doing it with my finest mates, and once you’ve received these shoulders that you may lean on it's extremely useful. For solo artists, I can think about it have to be very lonely. There’s plenty of time on the street, you’re away from household and mates.

‘I believe that we as society have come such a great distance in all of that, as a result of [mental health] wasn’t spoken about a lot. However I believe that the truth that persons are courageous sufficient, and open and trustworthy sufficient now, to speak about it, I believe it’s such a robust factor, as a result of I actually have positively suffered with plenty of anxiousness.

‘It feels actually nerve-racking and intimidating to confess that you simply undergo from this stuff. I keep in mind throughout Covid, I put one thing up on my Instagram, and I hadn’t actually spoken lots about having anxiousness. And it felt fairly daunting since you don’t know the way persons are going to reply. I'm very conscious that I’m very fortunate when it comes to that I’m dwelling my dream job and stuff, but it surely was one thing that I actually did wish to share with individuals.

‘And folks have been so variety and actually useful. And lots of people mentioned, “You understand, what, Molly, I’m feeling the identical.” I believe that simply realizing that different persons are going by way of that does offer you that consolation.

the saturdays
The previous Saturdays star says society and the music trade has come a great distance in having open conversations about psychological well being (Image: Getty Photographs)

‘Truthfully, [BBC Radio] have been so supportive right here. From the day that I joined they felt my ardour for pop music and my ardour for supporting up-and-coming artists as a result of I’ve lived and breathed it.That second of realizing your tune’s getting performed on the radio, I understand how a lot which means to artists.

‘They’ve type of recognised my ardour and my love for it, and the truth that they’ve gone, “we’re going to offer you your individual present right here, all about pop music,” which has by no means existed earlier than, is so encouraging.

‘I do know I’ve by no means felt like there are limitations right here. If something, I believe that they’re so good at searching for you and searching for what your goals are and what your objectives are, it’s a really open surroundings. And for some time, I’ve been saying about eager to do a present of my very own and now it’s occurred, it’s type of a pinch me second.

‘It’s simply so good that I can type of share my ardour for brand new artists with individuals and simply hold individuals firm within the evenings.’


Mollie King's weekend:

‘Weekends are fairly a busy time for me as a result of my radio present runs throughout the weekend. I all the time begin each day by nipping my canine out for a stroll, then I head straight into the station. Even after I was in The Saturdays, we all the time used to joke that we have been known as that as a result of we’d all the time be engaged on Saturday nights.

‘I’ve by no means actually had that way of life the place the weekends have been time to place my ft up. However that’s simply how it's once you’re on this line of labor, and I really feel so lucky to be dwelling out my type of dream job, so I can’t complain.

‘I are likely to have my days off on a Monday, so you may think about me making an attempt to rally mates up on a Monday – it’s a little bit of an uncommon calendar, that’s for certain.

‘I'd go for avocado on toast and a few scrambled eggs. Possibly like some good scorching sauce or one thing I fairly like a little bit of spice. However even simply one thing actually easy – to me nothing beats beans on toast. And a pleasant huge espresso, though I’ve reduce out the caffeine for the time being so I’m on the decaf.

‘I’m presently watching the Morning Present with Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon. I’m such an enormous fan of Reese, I really feel like she’s a lady who can simply do all of it, I’m so impressed by her. But in addition watching Jennifer in a unique character to Rachel from Pals has simply been mind-blowing for me as a result of I’m the largest Pals fan, I go to sleep to it each single evening. So seeing her in a unique position is simply unbelievable.

‘I additionally fairly like this sports activities documentary for the time being known as All Or Nothing that follows groups round. It’s positively my fiance that’s received me into it – I'd by no means have by no means had had an curiosity in these earlier than! However there’s one thing that I like about them. I believe it’s simply seeing athletes performing underneath the strain and simply seeing how they cope. They’re simply wonderful.’

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post