Dame Prue Leith admits she drowned kittens as a child: ‘They fought like the devil for life’

Dame Prue Leith on Bake Off
Nice British Bake Off decide Dame Prue drowned kittens in a bag when she was 11 (Image: Channel 4)

Dame Prue Leith has revealed she drowned a litter of kittens as a baby.

The Nice British Bake Off decide described the surprising act as a ‘traumatic expertise’ that plagued her for weeks afterward.

Recalling the horrific reminiscence in her memoir I’ll Attempt Something As soon as, Dame Prue revealed that her mom, Margaret Inglis, instructed her to sink the newborn cats simply hours after their start.

‘My mom and I, then 11, had simply drowned some kittens… and for weeks I imagined these poor useless creatures,’ she penned.

‘Too many kittens was a frequent incidence and there had come a day when my mom, unable to search out houses for yet one more litter, determined to drown the newest batch.

‘My protests had been met with a agency, “Darling, it needs to be finished. They're only some hours previous. They may hardly realize it’s taking place”.’

Dame Prue Leith
The tv persona made the surprising confession in her new memoir (Image: Getty)

Dame Prue wrote that her mom mentioned they didn’t want to carry the bag of kittens below the water for too lengthy with a purpose to ship them to ‘sleep’ however that they ‘fought just like the satan for all times’.

She recalled that her mom then had a change of coronary heart, however the baker insisted they continued and added: ‘I held the bag below water till the final kitten had stopped mewing.’

Bake Off judges
Dame Prue admits she loves being well-known (Image: Channel 4)

Dame Prue was born in Cape City, South Africa, and spent her childhood there earlier than transferring to London aged 20, in 1960.

She not too long ago instructed Metro.co.uk that she somewhat enjoys being well-known.

There have all the time been individuals who know me however sure, now clearly with Nice British Bake Off I get rather more consideration, however I’m fairly an egotist,’ she mentioned. ‘I get pleasure from it.

‘I like the eye. I don’t perceive why folks wouldn’t – in fact I can perceive if you happen to had been actually actually well-known so well-known that you simply couldn’t go to the grocery store and also you couldn’t get anyplace.’

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post