Grandma loses eye after wearing contact lenses in the shower

Marie Mason pictured
Marie Mason developed an eye fixed an infection from an amoeba current in faucet water (Image: SWNS)

A lady needed to have three cornea transplants and at last misplaced her eye utterly after carrying contact lenses whereas having a bathe.

Marie Mason, 54, developed an an infection in her left eye after a microscopic amoeba current in faucet water obtained between her contact lens and cornea.

She had been carrying contact lenses designed to be stored in for a month, however it's nonetheless advisable that they're taken out to bathe and whereas swimming.

Marie first seen one thing was improper when it consistently felt like one thing was caught in her eye in 2015.

After her imaginative and prescient deteriorated, she went to the opticians who instantly rushed her to hospital.

Marie was then informed she has a sort of micro organism referred to as Acanthamoeba Keratitis residing within her eye, which was inflicting the issues.

The microscopic, free-living organism may cause everlasting visible impairment or blindness.

Marie Mason's eye three years after being diagnosed
Marie Mason’s eye three years after being recognized (Image: Marie Mason/SWNS)

Over time, it multiplied and feasted on Marie’s cornea till her imaginative and prescient started to deteriorate.

Marie had been carrying 30 day contact lenses, and had showered whereas stille carrying them.

Because the an infection might be present in faucet water, it's believed that’s how her eye turned contaminated.

After 5 years of attempting quite a few sorts of remedy, in addition to a sequence of unsuccessful operations together with three cornea transplants, her eye needed to be eliminated.

Marie, from Sapcote in Leicestershire, mentioned: ‘I needed to cease work, as a result of on the time I labored in a kitchen in a college, and I used to be having to place eye drops in each half an hour so it simply wasn’t going to work as a result of it’s so painful.

‘I additionally needed to go to the hospital two to 3 occasions every week, and typically much more.

‘I used to be additionally in eye casualty loads as a result of one thing would flare up, so with all of the occasions I had to enter hospital, I couldn’t have gone to work as a result of it wouldn’t have been value it anyway.’

Marie is now calling for higher warnings on contact lens packs over the dangers of contamination.

She mentioned: ‘I don’t need something to suppose that I’m asking individuals to not put on contact lenses as a result of I’m not asking that in any respect.

‘Put on contact lenses, that’s completely high-quality, however you’ve simply obtained to watch out – it’s the water factor greater than something.

Marie Mason a year after being diagnosed
Marie Mason a 12 months after being recognized with the illness. She is now calling for clearer warnings on contact lens packs (Image: Marie Mason / SWNS)

‘I'd identical to the manufactures to place extra warnings on the packaging about water and make contact with lenses.

‘I simply don’t need anybody else to undergo it actually.’

Nearly two years after having her eye eliminated, Marie’s life is sort of again to regular.

She is now again working as an admin assistant, working for her husband Jonathan, 50, and volunteers together with her church.

Nonetheless, she does ‘wrestle typically’ with easy, on a regular basis duties similar to strolling down the road.

The grandmother-of-one mentioned: ‘My life is alright now, I haven’t gone again to work to the place I left, however I now work for my husband.

‘I’m additionally closely concerned with the church the place I do numerous voluntary work so my life has modified, however it’s a pleasant change, and it’s completely different.

‘The one factor I’ve not gone again to is driving, I ended driving fairly early on within the journey as a result of I wasn’t snug with it, and I haven’t obtained the boldness to return to it, in order that’s the primary factor that’s modified for me.

‘I do wrestle typically as a result of my imaginative and prescient on my left facet is garbage, effectively it’s not there.

‘It’s fairly onerous strolling down the road whenever you’ve obtained individuals whizzing by you, and it makes you leap a bit since you don’t anticipate it.’

Specsavers say on their web site that though some contact lenses are designed to be worn even when sleeping for as much as a month, it is suggested that they're taken off when showering ‘to play it utterly protected’.

They mentioned: ‘The largest benefit of evening and day contact lenses is that they’re exceptionally handy. They're designed to be worn constantly, which is true for many conditions.

‘Nonetheless, it might be greatest to keep away from showering with these lenses in. Bathe water accommodates micro organism, and for those who put on them whereas showering, you could be placing your self at a better threat of eye infections. 

‘To play it utterly protected, it's best to keep away from showering with any kind of contacts, together with steady put on ones.’

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post