Having a mastectomy sent my body confidence through the roof

As I posed for the photographer, hand on hip, I felt assured, liberated and horny.

Nevertheless it wasn’t simply any photoshoot, I used to be topless – revealing the outcomes of my mastectomy I’d had simply three months earlier. 

I used to be a bit of nervous taking my garments off in entrance of a stranger, however I assumed: If I’ve acquired this far, I can do something – in spite of everything, nothing might be as scary as having most cancers

All of it started after I was recognized in July 2021.

I had been within the tub after I first discovered the lump in my left breast,aged 39, I might see it protruding from my pores and skin. However as a result of I used to be on my interval and breastfeeding my youngest daughter on the time, I put it right down to that. 

When it was nonetheless there 4 weeks later although, I knew I needed to make an appointment with my GP. The physician agreed with methat it was in all probability nothing severe, placing it right down to a blocked milk duct, however referred me to the breast clinic to rule out something extra sinister.  

Clare and her husband
I considered my husband Anthony and daughters Amelia, 10, and Eve, 5 (Image: Clare Younger)

I had an ultrasound, a mammogram, then a biopsy. Then it got here – my prognosis, every week after my biopsy. I had breast most cancers, with an MRI displaying it was invasive lobular carcinoma, a kind of breast most cancers that begins within the lobules (milk-producing glands) of the breast.

I considered my husband Anthony and daughters Amelia, 10, and Eve, 5. All I wished was a future with them, an opportunity to see my ladies develop up. So after I was instructed I wanted a mastectomy, I used to be nearly wanting ahead to it – I simply wished the most cancers gone.  

In September 2021, I went into theatre for my mastectomy – to have my left breast eliminated. 

After I got here round within the hospital mattress and noticed Anthony’s face, I smiled. Every part was going to be OK.  

Earlier than the surgical procedure, I’d learn that some girls couldn’t bear wanting within the mirror after a mastectomy and I used to be apprehensive that I might really feel much less female and unattractive. So after I truly noticed myself, I used to be pleasantly shocked. I felt good, even horny!

I had favored my physique earlier than my prognosis, however I used to be by no means outwardly very assured. I used to be a shy individual, the kind to maintain their head down whereas strolling.

Clare smiling
I had favored my physique earlier than my prognosis, however I used to be by no means outwardly very assured (Image: Clare Younger)

Seeing myself simply proved to me how far I’d come and that I used to be nonetheless the identical individual I used to be earlier than. Extra importantly, I used to be alive.

Again residence, I pulled away my dressings to indicate Anthony, Amelia and Eve my chest. I didn’t need our daughters to be scared, so selected to be open and upfront with them. ‘You look stunning, Mummy,’ they stated. 

Their phrases meant every little thing.

I wished to thank the charity Breast Most cancers Now, whose nurses had supported me with my prognosis over the previous few months, so I made a decision to do a burlesque photoshoot with my mastectomy scar on present to lift cash for them. 

I’d truly received a contest for a free photoshoot earlier than the prognosis however had delay going, as a result of I lacked the mandatory confidence. Now, I booked myself in straightaway.

I’d by no means posed in underwear earlier than and was apprehensive, however after the photographer confirmed me the primary image of myself, I couldn’t consider how good I appeared! Immediately I felt courageous and decided to hold on. 

Clare topless at photo shoot
After the photographer confirmed me the primary image of myself, I couldn’t consider how good I appeared! (Image: Andrew Wooden Pictures)

And because the digicam continued to click on, all my inhibitions disappeared.

I used to be thrilled after I noticed the ultimate footage and after I posted the black and white photograph displaying my mastectomy scar on social media, I acquired such an enormous, optimistic response with everybody saying how improbable I appeared.  

It was simply the increase I wanted and made me love myself much more. I’ve determined to get the picture of that photograph tattooed on the highest of my proper arm, to function a reminder that it’s attainable to be wonderful – and horny – after breast most cancers.

I had a second operation in October for an axillary node clearance – a process to take away lymph nodes beneath my arm – and recovered pretty rapidly.

Then got here the very best information I might have wished for – the surgical procedure had eliminated all of the most cancers. I used to be within the clear! It was an actual weight off my shoulders, regardless of realizing I nonetheless wanted to have chemotherapy as a precaution, in addition to radiotherapy and tamoxifen.

Chemo started and never lengthy after, I used to be washing my hair within the tub when it started popping out in clumps in my arms. 

Clare in red underwear
I used to be thrilled after I noticed the ultimate footage (Image: Andrew Wooden Pictures)

The bathtub water was filled with it and after I acquired out and appeared within the mirror, there was a big bald patch on prime of my head. 

My eyes welled with tears and panic set in. It was probably the most upset I’d felt since discovering the lump. 

Then, on my eldest daughter’s 10th birthday, I abruptly acquired the urge to eliminate all of it, to take away the stress utterly. So my husband grabbed some clippers and shaved my head. Afterwards, I felt extra myself than ever. 

I completed chemotherapy in March this 12 months and radiotherapy in Might. 

Now I’m on tamoxifen – a hormone remedy to dam oestrogen from reaching most cancers cells – for 10 years and have a mammogram yearly. My final one in July got here again clear. 

Most cancers is severe sufficient, so all alongside I’ve tried to not take it too significantly. I’ve spray-painted my bald head pink, worn humorous hats, made an ABBA video with my daughter whereas carrying a humorous wig – you identify it.  

Clare and husband
It might sound mad, however most cancers has modified my life for the higher (Image: Clare Younger)

I not too long ago took half in a TV advert for Breast Most cancers Now, the place I proudly reveal my mastectomy scar earlier than my daughters run in to hug me. The advert is airing on TV now and simply provides to the listing of every little thing I’ve achieved previously 12 months. 

It might sound mad, however most cancers has modified my life for the higher. As soon as fairly a shy individual, I’m now assured, stroll with objective and love my physique greater than ever earlier than.

In fact, I might by no means select to have the illness, however my prognosis has taught me how one can reside my life – actually reside it – and I’ll at all times be thankful for that.

As instructed to Julia Sidwell 

Breast Most cancers Now offers assist for anybody affected by breast most cancers, go to breastcancernow.org


The Reality Is...

Metro.co.uk’s weekly The Reality Is… collection seeks to discover something and every little thing in relation to life’s unstated truths and long-held secrets and techniques. Contributors will problem standard misconceptions on a subject near their hearts, confess to a deeply private secret, or reveal their knowledge from expertise – good and unhealthy – in relation to romance or household relationships.

If you want your share your reality with our readers, electronic mail jess.austin@metro.co.uk.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post