I pulled myself out of homelessness by becoming a male stripper

A highlight shone down on me, the viewers chanted my title and the lady who had been plucked out of the viewers all of the sudden pulled down my pants and uncovered me. 

In that second, my world modified without end as my stripping profession started. 

Nonetheless, not one particular person in that chanting strip membership viewers knew my secret – I used to be really homeless and dwelling on a seaside.

Previous to my sudden entrance into male stripping 18 years in the past, I had the world at my ft. 

I used to be working as a firefighter – which I beloved – and had an incredible upbringing. My dad is the well-known actor Keith Clifford, who performed Billy Hardcastle in Final of The Summer time Wine, and our household was comfy.

Nonetheless, all it took was one boozy evening in 2003 once I was round 20 years outdated to set my life on a downward spiral. 

There was a battle in a Manchester bar the place I’d gone with some mates. We’d all had a bit to drink and I jumped in as a result of I used to be nervous for one pal specifically.

The boys I fought with have been a part of a infamous gang and, following the battle, began to threaten my life.

I felt that my solely choice was to run away to Australia, because the folks chasing me had contacts in every single place. I didn’t need to contain the police as a result of nature of the incident.

I first went to Eire for eight months and eventually on to Australia, the place I arrived in 2004.

My first few days in Perth have been nice – I made a pal who I met in a bar there simply having a beer, however simply days later, they robbed me and left me with nothing other than my cell phone and some garments.

With out paperwork, I couldn’t get a job and I didn’t need to name my mother and father again dwelling as a result of I didn’t need to fear them. My solely choice was to sleep tough at a close-by seaside, which had showers, out of doors cooking services and bogs. 

I additionally discovered a launderette the place I used to unplug one of many washing machines and cost my cellphone in order that I might take heed to music, which stored me sane. 

danny clifford
I used to be advised that I had a pleasant physique and I’d go down a storm on the membership (Image: Danny Clifford)

It felt like issues have been slowly being taken away from me, first my job, then my pal and eventually my household who I couldn’t inform precisely the place I used to be.

I used to be homeless abroad with no assist – I ended trusting folks and was scared to make pals. Wanting again now, it was an essential life lesson as a result of I learnt what it was prefer to be susceptible.

Someday, about seven weeks after arriving in Australia, an area fitness center was giving out free day passes.

I went alongside primarily as a result of I used to be bored and lonely. A man who labored there approached me and mentioned I ought to come to this strip membership, the place I might earn massive cash. He mentioned I had a pleasant physique and I’d go down a storm there. 

I declined, however afterward – as I sat on the seaside ravenous – I realised this job was the one method to get cash to eat and a roof over my head. It was about survival. 

I went to the membership and nervously peered across the nook. Three males dressed as a cowboy, a fireman and a policeman have been standing outdoors.

It took me some time earlier than I adopted them into the membership. As soon as I did, I used to be handled like a king and given free foods and drinks all evening. I used to be hungry and thirsty so I took benefit of their hospitality and acquired completely hammered.

They weren’t concerned about my lack of expertise, simply what I regarded like. I used to be supplied $150 (£85) per evening to start out.

After I was referred to as up on stage, I went willingly. That was the primary time I took my garments off on stage and the viewers went wild. I simply stood there that first time and was mainly undressed by a girl they acquired to return up on stage.

danny clifford
There was a zero tolerance to leaping up on stage on the membership uninvited however it didn’t cease girls dropping management and doing it (Image: Danny Clifford)

After some time, I acquired a buzz from it. I stored coming again and carried out as a lot as I might in a bid to earn as a lot cash as attainable.

Taking my garments off six or seven instances an evening turned the norm. For the following six months, I'd costume up as a sailor, a fireman or – what then turned my signature solo dance – as a cowboy, taking my garments off to ACDC’s You Shook Me All Night time Lengthy. I favored the music and was in a position to base a dance round it fairly simply. 

I’d get to the membership filled with adrenaline and backstage, the opposite lads and I – a few of whom have been pupil attorneys and medical doctors supplementing their pupil loans by stripping – would have amusing.

We’d do crunches and get oiled up earlier than we’d begin to hear girls coming by means of the doorways – they have been already screaming and excited, so it made us really feel like rock stars. 

The music would begin and we’d go right into a excessive vitality, closely choreographed efficiency – one time I fully forgot the routine and froze in entrance of a whole lot of girls. As a substitute, I simply began thrusting and that appeared to do the trick because the viewers beloved it. 

There was a zero tolerance to leaping up on stage on the membership uninvited however it didn’t cease girls dropping management and doing it. Safety all the time acted shortly they usually have been faraway from the membership.

Danny Clifford shirtless holding a hammer
Stripping gave me the arrogance and stage presence to determine to grow to be an actor like my dad (Image: @rufio_james)

Someday, I used to be requested to pole dance however that wasn’t for me so I left the membership as a result of I knew that was the way in which it was going and I’d want to try this in addition to dance. So I began doing personal events as an alternative. I knew another person doing it so joined him, generally we’d each go, different instances we’d go alone. 

I might earn extra – double the membership fee – however it was extra harmful. There was no safety and sometimes I'd be surrounded by girls aggressively pulling my garments off. On one event, I needed to run out of a celebration bare with claw marks all down my again. 

Working personal events meant I used to be both on tremendous yachts the place cash was no object or at a home in a downmarket a part of city – I noticed all sides of life. 

Nonetheless, assembly my then-girlfriend in a bar modified every thing as she hated me stripping and I realised I needed to cease for the sake of our relationship. 

However stripping gave me the arrogance and stage presence to determine to grow to be an actor like my dad. I had all the time been concerned about appearing, I’d been round actors and the stage all my life. Then being on stage each evening, stripping, I acquired a style for entertaining and I knew I needed to pursue a extra critical facet of that. I knew I wanted to audition for drama colleges and study my commerce correctly.

When it was protected sufficient for me to return to the UK about 5 years later, I used to be accepted on the prestigious RADA to check appearing.

danny clifford
Would I ever strip once more? No (Image: Danny Clifford)

Now, I've written and starred in award nominated performs in addition to had elements in Emmerdale, Coronation Avenue and Chilly Ft. My most up-to-date award-nominated present ‘Roll The Cube’ is because of tour Edinburgh, London and Manchester earlier than going to the Hollywood Fringe subsequent 12 months. 

At any time when I advised folks the story of my time in Australia, they mentioned it seemed like it might make an incredible movie or a guide. Wanting again on the entire expertise, it was undoubtedly value it.

I really like the stage in addition to writing, so I knew I wanted to write down this story. ‘Roll The Cube’ follows me from the battle, by means of to leaving the nation, being homeless, stripping and eventually returning and appearing. 

Would I ever strip once more? No. I don’t remorse it in any respect, however I’ve been there and performed that. It was part of my life that has acquired me to the place I'm as we speak, however I’m a special particular person now.

Nicely, the one exception could also be a personal dance on my marriage ceremony evening once I get married – each time that might be.

Featured picture credit score: @rufio_james

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post