‘I stopped being a person I liked’: Lena Dunham on time out, rehab and marriage

It was a decade in the past, on the sharpest peak of Lena Dunham’s fame, whereas her present, Ladies, was being heralded as a masterpiece and Dunham herself because the voice of her era, when producers requested what she’d wish to make subsequent. Something, they stated. One thing feminist with weapons perhaps? One thing radically erotic? A romcom maybe, with nipples in it? No, she stated. “I need to make a film a couple of medieval little one who will get her interval.” She smiles at me, considerably primly.

That film, Catherine Referred to as Birdy, a comedy primarily based on a YA novel, comes out this week and occurs to coincide with the discharge of one other movie by Dunham, her first in 12 years. Sharp Stick is a extra conventionally Dunham-ian challenge, in that a) it’s about an ungainly 26-year-old’s sexual awakening, b) Dunham acts in it and c) opinions have tended to critique her reasonably than the movie itself. Within the 5 years since Ladies ended, after years of rabid consideration, she’s been comparatively reclusive, rising sometimes to report on a serious operation, rehab or, final 12 months, her “whirlwind” marriage at 35 to British-Peruvian musician Luis Felber. The eye she attracted, suffered, endured, was associated partly to her lack of filter, which each contributed to the taboo-breaking telly she made and in addition meant the methods she navigated fame in her early 20s led to shock and sneers. Is she able to re-enter the discourse? “No,” she says firmly. “Completely not.” And but, right here we're.

Dunham is in New York, vaping discreetly in a small, brilliant research, speaking in full singsong paragraphs punctuated briefly by chuckles. “If I used to be afraid of the world earlier than, it actually hasn’t given me any extra motive to be much less afraid at this time,” she says. When she instructed her mother and father (the artists Laurie Simmons and Carroll Dunham) that she thought this medieval-period movie about intervals may very well be her most business challenge thus far, they stared at her. “They have been like: ‘You’re insane.’ They stated: ‘You've got realized nothing out of your time on this enterprise – you might have a purposeful blindness. They are going to actually discover a motive to be enraged about your film a couple of 14-year-old along with her interval and a crush on her uncle.’”

Had been they proper, I ask Dunham. In regards to the purposeful blindness? “I feel to maintain producing work that's compelling to you and trustworthy, you do must have a sure type of blindness, you do must form of overlook that persons are going to see it.” She pauses for half a second, perhaps much less. “And to not sound like a complete cheeseball, however completely ‘inhabiting your artistry’ and completely ‘presenting your id’, to me, is the job of an artist.” Billie Piper, who performs the mom in Catherine, Referred to as Birdy, tells me Dunham’s artwork has “formed” her. “She looks like THE path blazer in relation to tales about trendy girls,” exposing them in methods which might be “ugly and confrontational, weak and superbly stunning” and in addition very humorous. Her work “made me ask myself: ‘Can I perhaps say these issues, too?’” she continues. “In some ways, she did as a lot for me as seven years in remedy.”

Lena Dunham in a full-length, layered, baby-pink chiffon dress and bare feet, sitting on the side of a roll-top bath in a bathroom
‘I all the time thought there was one thing crude or superficial about caring how folks responded to me, so I attempted arduous to behave as if I didn’t discover’: Lena Dunham. Photograph: Matthew Eades/The Observer

Dunham herself leans in direction of artists who're in a position to “channel their interior panorama in all of its roiling depth”, she says. “The enjoyment of that's that it could make us really feel very a lot much less alone. However I don’t suppose it's also possible to maintain on to a way of what folks need or are afraid of. And in a means, I’ve all the time had that high quality since I used to be somewhat child, this form of amnesia about what… bothers folks.”

Previously the issues which have bothered folks about Dunham have ranged from her extreme nudity and simple privilege to the quantity she was paid for her memoir. Since her 20s she’s been a lightning rod for politicised anger. The left criticised her non-diverse casting on Ladies and accused her of informal racism; the best sees her as a woke degenerate. She employed safety guards after receiving threats, together with one the place any person despatched her the ground plans to her home, declaring the place her bed room was. She has lengthy been a pawn within the tradition wars – the struggle over Lena Dunham has all the time been about way over simply Lena Dunham.

“I used to be mendacity on a diving board in Los Angeles, at my good friend’s vacant home, on the telephone with my dad,” she tells me. “And I used to be saying: ‘Are this stuff going to be connected to me perpetually? If I used to be a person…’ And my dad stopped me, like: ‘You gotta pay to play, sweetheart.’” He was proper, she admits: sooner or later she has to cease preventing. And mendacity within the solar in a non-public pool, she realised she needed to discover acceptance. “As a result of if I used to be all the time in a state of resistance, I'd stroll round with such a chip on my shoulder. However the truth that with the intention to write a couple of film of mine, there must be three paragraphs disseminating my ‘historical past’ shouldn't be my life’s dream.”

Lena Dunham and Taylor Swift
Star signal: with Taylor Swift. Photograph: Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic

Her story has turn out to be part of her story, like a type of photos the place an individual is studying a e-book about an individual studying a e-book about an individual studying a e-book – should you preserve zooming into the duvet you begin to really feel faint. Not too long ago, in an interview, she was requested: “Why do you suppose folks dislike you a lot?” She paused in response. “Then I used to be like: ‘ what? I really don’t must reply that.’ And what an incredible lesson that was in each facet of life. I used to suppose I owed everybody a solution about all the things, or at the least an apology.” Not.

At occasions, Dunham’s apologies grew to become as a lot part of her story as her work – she issued so many a bot on Twitter routinely generates them. The New York Instances later described her as “actor, author, director, controversy creator”. She sighs. “That was not a job I wished and is a job that I respectfully resigned from.” After Ladies’ sixth season (and ninth award), she quietly… disappeared. She broke up along with her longtime boyfriend, entered rehab for an habit to benzodiazepines and dissolved her artistic partnership with Ladies co-showrunner Jenni Konner. “Although my voice is loud, I’m really an individual who feels most snug alone on the earth of ideas and books. I had an intuition that taking a while away was going to be essential to survive – there was a short while there once I wasn’t listening to my very own voice.” To put in writing, she says, you want to really feel “such as you’re a hound that’s smelled a fox and also you simply must chase all of it the best way into its gap. My senses had been blunted by the expertise of being on the earth in that means.” By which she means: continually scrutinised.

A man and a girl in medieval dress holding swords, in a scene from Lena Dunham’s new YA comedy film Catherine, Called Birdy.
‘You do must form of overlook that persons are going to see it’: Lena Dunham’s new YA comedy movie Catherine, Referred to as Birdy. Photograph: Alex Bailey/Prime Video

Within the manufacturing notes for Sharp Stick (a movie her father describes as a “sexual fable”) she discusses the “concern that shaped her femininity”, and the way the general public response to her bare physique in Ladies “was a trauma all of its personal. I had all the time thought there was one thing crude or superficial about caring how folks responded to me, so I attempted actually arduous in my 20s to behave as if I didn’t discover.” It’s like having a nasty boyfriend, she says: you be taught to compartmentalise the insults. “I believed I might obtain all this enter about what a hideous cow I used to be and in addition maintain on to this sense that I'm basically, you already know, pretty?”

Dunham’s thesis is that we’re all born believing ourselves to be pretty till sooner or later a mum or dad or boy or advert reveals our hideousness. Shock! “For a few of us, that comes very younger. For me, introduced up in a feminist family, it got here somewhat bit later. I wasn’t hit with the sign that I used to be not ‘appropriately shaped’ till the general public actually let me know. I believed I might preserve these two issues separate.” Till she couldn’t. “All of that suggestions contributed to the formation of self. And I ended being an individual that I favored.” For a very long time she was embarrassed. Wasn’t this expertise particular to being a star, and due to this fact deeply unrelatable? However because the years handed she got here to grasp that a model of what occurred to her was additionally occurring to tens of millions of girls internationally. She began recording a podcast, the C-Phrase, along with her good friend Alissa Bennett, which works deep on useless or forgotten girls dismissed by society as loopy, like Mary Shelley or Amy Winehouse. “And I discovered partaking with historical past is usually a good solution to perceive your current. The 70 hours we’ve completed in that podcast have been as useful to me as remedy, if no more so.” The brand new collection launches with a two-parter on Lindsay Lohan.

Rereading the press round her first memoir brings the discomfort now acquainted when wanting again on the popular culture of the current previous: patronising, choosy, usually breathtakingly merciless. She’s presently engaged on a second quantity. “In my first e-book, each story wanted to be tied up with a cute little bow. Like: ‘And that’s how this made me the enjoyable, funky CEO I'm at this time.’ And now I’m very snug being like: ‘Truly, this made me a terrified mattress dweller.’” In her 20s, whereas she was writing, directing and appearing in Ladies, she was additionally in ache. On the Met Gala in 2017 she collapsed and was rushed to hospital. She’d had 5 operations for her endometriosis that 12 months and later had a hysterectomy. “Power ache is one other a type of issues, like ‘power web trolling’, that I didn’t give sufficient credit score to in my 20s. Now I view all the things that occurred then via a lens of ache – this form of ozone layer that nobody can see round you, that defines your reactions.”

‘Whirlwind’ romance: with her husband, Luis Felber.
‘Whirlwind’ romance: along with her husband, Luis Felber. Photograph: Chris Chew/UPI/Shutterstock

Her ache has receded since her hysterectomy, however not gone completely – however now she is aware of when to cease working, when to go to mattress. “And the humorous factor is, now I’m a lot ‘curvier’, ‘larger’, no matter, than I used to be in my 20s it’s wild to me that THAT was the physique all people critiqued: the physique of an anxious, emaciated, aching particular person. I take a look at her and might’t imagine that little hurting woman was subjected to this. What does that say to all people else on the earth? Now I’m in a position to very proudly be within the physique I’m in, recognising what it’s taken to get right here.”

When she checked into hospital, she instructed medical doctors she wouldn’t depart till they both stopped the ache or eliminated her uterus and cervix. It was a controversial determination, that means she received’t be capable to have youngsters. Resolution, she stops me, is the fallacious phrase. “It was a type of selections the place… it’s not likely a call? I struggled with this concept, that I had chosen my very own well being over having the ability to bear youngsters. However actually it wasn’t a selection in any respect as a result of the particular person I'd have continued available I remained in that type of ache wouldn't have been an individual I might actually reside as.” The hysterectomy allowed “this vista of risk”, she says. “I didn’t realise how a lot of my time had been taken up with the issues of my physique.”

Her reminiscences of the weeks she spent in hospital are hazy. However she needed to struggle arduous to steer the medical doctors the operation was what she wanted. “It was like the toughest Hollywood pitch I’ve ever completed.” And even there, her story adopted her. At some point she was mendacity in a restoration bay on an IV drip when a nurse casually requested why she was so usually bare on TV. She rolls her eyes remembering. “After we noticed that very same nurse a 12 months later, my mom stated: ‘We don’t need her. She wasn’t good.’ After all my response to her on the time was simply: ‘I’m so sorry.’”

“There isn't any state of being for Lena apart from making issues and inventing worlds,” says Joe Alwyn, who stars in Catherine Referred to as Birdy (and is the associate of Dunham’s good friend Taylor Swift, a bridesmaid at her marriage ceremony). And it’s true. Even when she was mendacity low she was working, directing the pilot of HBO’s Business, as an example, and showing in Tarantino’s As soon as Upon a Time in Hollywood. It’s thrilling to be along with her, Alwyn provides. Thrilling to look at her win over a Covid-weary British movie crew in Shropshire. “Carrying her full-length glittery coat, she’d scoop up a hen, inform the horse wrangler how ‘fabulous’ they’re wanting at this time and march via the mud to the subsequent set-up.”

Lena Dunham sitting on a bench with her Girls co-stars.
Queen of the display screen: along with her Ladies co-stars. Photograph: HBO/Allstar

She hopes audiences will see similarities between Ladies and Birdy, regardless of the latter being set among the many nice muds of medieval England reasonably than the caffeinated glamour of Brooklyn. I ask: is it odd to nonetheless be outlined by one thing she made so younger? “To be outlined by something feels so fortunate. Ladies come as much as me on a regular basis, like: ‘I go to sleep to the present each evening.’ And that’s all I ever wished.” She appears somewhat moved by the realisation.

“In my 20s I believed I needed to be, like, a ‘massive enterprise bitch’. Now I perceive that I can have a life on this business and nonetheless be a weirdo who hangs out on this tiny room, watercolouring.” A part of this understanding got here from her time in rehab. When she arrived, to wean herself off the anti-anxiety tablets she took to take care of public life, she thought her life was over – her relationship, her profession – and he or she anxious all the things she’d ever completed can be considered via the lens of habit. “Now I all the time joke that I want all people might go to rehab.” It’s not completely a joke: she helps Pleasant Home remedy centres that settle for girls no matter monetary scenario. In rehab she realized the worth of stillness, she says. “I’d been there for 28 days when a woman and I discovered a blue robin’s egg. We have been as excited as if we have been at a fucking One Route live performance. A nervous breakdown of pleasure!” She removes a scrunchie from her hair and shivers with quiet glee.

In April, US gameshow Jeopardy requested the query: “Who's Lena Dunham?” She leans her head to the facet. “I’d like to know the reply!” There's a uncommon, deep pause. “One thing about public life is that you just’re compelled to outline your self, after which attempt to stay in that definition perpetually.” However what she’s realized, she says, is how thrilling it's to mess with that definition, or develop it, or change – to shrug off makes an attempt at likability, perfection, pace. “One factor my 20s did,” she vapes, “is made me fairly bored of the sound of my very own title. Now I discover I’m far more excited about saying: ‘Sufficient about me – who're you?’”

Catherine Referred to as Birdy is in cinemas now,and on Prime Video on 7 October

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post