Magnus Carlsen publicly accuses Hans Niemann of more cheating

Magnus Carlsen has damaged his silence on the scandal that has rocked chess by accusing Hans Niemann of dishonest extra – and extra lately – than he has publicly admitted.

The world champion additionally questioned Niemann’s stellar rise over the previous yr calling it “uncommon”, and admitted he was additionally suspicious of the 19-year-old American’s mannerisms when he misplaced to him with the black items on the Sinquefield Cup early this month.

Carlsen mentioned this led him to tug out of a match for the primary time in his profession – and final week the Norwegian surprised the game once more by resigning a web based recreation after only one transfer in opposition to the identical opponent.

Till Monday night, Carlsen had commented solely cryptically on the state of affairs. However in a tweeted assertion, the Norwegian made his emotions clear.

“When Niemann was invited final minute to the 2022 Sinquefield Cup, I strongly thought of withdrawing previous to the occasion,” he revealed. “I finally selected to play. I imagine that Niemann has cheated extra – and extra lately – than he has publicly admitted.

“His over-the-board progress has been uncommon, and all through our recreation within the Sinquefield Cup I had the impression that he wasn’t tense and even absolutely concentrating on the sport in crucial positions, whereas outplaying me as black in a method I solely assume a handful of gamers can do. This recreation contributed to altering my perspective.”

After Niemann’s victory in opposition to Carlsen, he had mentioned that “by some ridiculous miracle” he had guessed what his opponent’s uncommon opening can be and ready for it. “It have to be embarrassing for the world champion to lose to me,” Niemann mentioned. “I really feel dangerous for him.”

Whereas Niemann has admitted dishonest in on-line occasions, as a 12- and 16-year-old, he has vociferously denied the current allegations and insisted he's now “clear”. He has accused these making claims in opposition to him of making an attempt to smash his profession and mentioned he was even ready to play bare to show his innocence.

Chess.com has since mentioned it believes Niemann had cheated on-line extra continuously, nevertheless, and had proven him proof to help that conclusion. Niemann has been banned from the location and Chess.com occasions.

Carlsen, for his half, recommended on Monday night that he wouldn't play in opposition to Niemann, or any participant he believes to have cheated, once more. “We should do one thing about dishonest, and personally going ahead I don’t wish to play in opposition to those that have cheated repeatedly up to now, as a result of I don’t know what they're able to doing sooner or later,” he mentioned.

“I imagine that dishonest in chess is an enormous deal and an existential risk to the sport. I additionally imagine that chess organisers and people who care in regards to the sanctity of the sport we love ought to severely think about rising safety measures and strategies of cheat detection for over-the-board chess.”

The Norwegian insisted there was extra he wished to say however was restricted in what he might do with out express permission from Niemann to talk overtly. “To date I've solely been in a position to communicate with my actions, and people actions have said clearly that I'm not keen to play chess with Niemann.”

Carlsen added: “I hope the reality on this matter comes out, no matter it could be. I do know that my actions have annoyed many within the chess neighborhood. I’m annoyed. I wish to play chess on the highest degree in the perfect occasions.”

The Guardian has contacted Niemann’s representatives for remark.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post