My date told me he’d spoil me and ordered champagne – then asked to split the bill

‘I’ll deal with you want a princess,’ Josh* assured me down the telephone. 

On the time, I believed it was fairly candy. He was fairly a couple of years older than me, and so I believed, as he requested me out, he was an old-school gentleman who appreciated to deal with ladies nicely. 

He’d appeared good once I met him out in Brick Lane. Our teams of pals had ended up having a couple of drinks collectively and I’d wound up speaking to him. 

Along with his blonde hair streaked ever so barely with gray and piercing blue eyes, I discovered him engaging. Josh talked about work, and he appeared genuinely considering me, as we mentioned our shared curiosity in advertising and marketing. He requested for my quantity as we have been leaving, and I gave it to him. 

We exchanged a couple of messages and spoke on the telephone. So after we organized a date, I used to be wanting ahead to attending to know him a bit higher. 

Sammi at a birthday event
Because the meals arrived, he introduced the dialog again spherical to cash (Image: Sammi Swinton)

After I initially noticed him I felt a bit giddy, stuffed with first date anticipation. However as we sat down, the vitality shifted barely. ‘Do you want champagne or low cost wine?’ he requested. I believed it was an odd factor to say, however apparently it didn’t want a solution, as he ordered the champagne anyway. 

I brushed it off, and advised him about my household in Cyprus and he jokingly tried to pronounce the few Greek phrases he knew.

However because the meals arrived, he introduced the dialog again spherical to cash. ‘I wish to deal with you want a princess. You don’t have to fret about cash when you’re with me.’

Abruptly, our light-hearted chat about good meals and my heritage was utterly forgotten, as he went on in regards to the cash he had. 

Sammi at the top of a tall building in a city
‘You’re such a fraud,’ I believed as I took one final take a look at him (Image: Sammi Swinton)

A few of his brags included, ‘I've property babe, I solely drive traditional jags’, and ‘I’ve received twin boys. They’re set for all times, I made certain of that.’

As I watched him proceed as he wolfed his primary course, he turned unattractive.  

He should have seen I used to be unimpressed, as a result of then he began making jokes – jokes that have been clearly not jokes. 

‘Have you ever received your bank card? Hahaha!’ ‘I’ve received money, so in the event that they solely take card, dinner’s on you – solely joking!’ 

This could have been sufficient for me to only up and depart however earlier than I may, the waiter got here with the invoice. Josh snatched the receipt and shoved it in entrance of my face. ‘That’s a bit costly,’ he exclaimed.  

As I prevented the waiter’s eye, I burnt with embarrassment. I needed the ground to swallow me up and get me out of that state of affairs. 

Sammi outside in winter
I’d had my meal served with a facet of bull (Image: Sammi Swinton)

‘Simply stay sleek and get away from this man as quickly as you may,’ I advised myself, attempting to maintain my composure. 

‘Ought to we cut up it then?’ I requested politely. If I’m sincere, I by no means thought he, who needed to ‘deal with me like a princess’ and had advised me ‘to not fear about cash’ would settle for – however he did! 

‘Ah you’re a diamond babe! You don’t thoughts splitting it do you?’ he stated to me.

Livid, I gave him a tight-lipped, sarcastic smile, as I paid for my half of the invoice. ‘Ought to we organize one other date?’ he requested time and again. Ordering an Uber, I nodded sure – however solely to depart as quickly as I may. ‘You’re such a fraud,’ I believed as I took one final take a look at him. 

In fact I wouldn’t have minded paying half of the invoice – if he hadn’t gone on about treating me so nicely earlier, ordered the champagne, then complained about how a lot it value! 

He textual content me a couple of occasions afterwards, which I ignored, then he despatched me a last one saying, ‘I gained’t be the mug who pays for all your dinners!’ I blocked him after that. 

I’d had my meal served with a facet of bull – I actually wasn’t going to asking for extra.

*Identify has been modified

You'll find Sammi’s weblog right here, and observe her on social media right here


So, How Did It Go?

So, How Did It Go? is a weekly Metro.co.uk sequence that can make you cringe with second-hand embarrassment or ooze with jealousy as folks share their worst and greatest date tales.

Need to spill the beans about your personal awkward encounter or love story? Contact jess.austin@metro.co.uk


Rush Hour Crush - love (nicely, lust) is throughout us

Go to Metro's Rush Hour Crush on-line each weekday at 4:30pm.

Inform us about your Rush Hour Crush by submitting them right here, and you could possibly see your message revealed on the positioning.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post