Should I cash in my endowment and pay off my £41,000 interest-only mortgage?

Q My endowment is because of mature subsequent 12 months in September. It's a nonprofit coverage, so there isn't a bonus for letting it mature.

The endowment is presently valued at about £51,000, which is about £10,000 greater than my present mortgage. The curiosity I pay on this mortgage is a tracker fee, so has been going up not too long ago consistent with the Financial institution of England base fee. On high of this I pay about £110 a month for the endowment, making a month-to-month complete of £200.

I even have a £52,000 compensation mortgage, which has about 9 and a half years left on the mortgage time period. I’m considering that if I money within the endowment and repay the £41,000 interest-only mortgage, I can use the £200 a month I'm presently paying for it to overpay on the compensation mortgage.

Though the £110 I pay for the endowment doesn’t change every month, its worth goes up and down consistent with share costs.
AW

A I don’t assume you've got a nonprofit endowment as a result of, as I perceive it, with that kind of endowment you agree the scale of lump sum on the outset and that’s what you get on the finish of the coverage time period. As your coverage appears to fluctuate in worth, I believe that, as a substitute, you might have a unit-linked coverage. With this sort the worth will depend on how nicely the items you put money into carry out.

Anyway, your thought to money in your endowment and repay the interest-only mortgage appears a superb one – as does your plan to make use of the £200 a month you'd save to overpay in your compensation mortgage and so scale back its time period. You can scale back this even additional through the use of any surplus over the cash-in worth of your endowment to overpay much more of your compensation mortgage.

Cashing in an endowment generally is a unhealthy thought, nonetheless, if you happen to want the life insurance coverage it supplies to repay a mortgage within the occasion of your premature loss of life. In the event you want the life insurance coverage however are fighting the price of paying premiums there's an alternate. You may discover making the endowment paid up. This implies you cease paying month-to-month premiums however wait till the top of the time period to get the lump sum which can also be when the life insurance coverage half involves an finish.

Need skilled assist discovering your new mortgage? Use our on-line software to go looking 1000's of offers from greater than 80 lenders with the Guardian Mortgage Service, powered by L&C.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post