‘Suit you, sir!’ – how we made The Fast Show, with Paul Whitehouse and Simon Day

Paul Whitehouse

Author/performer/co-producer

In these days, the BBC have been ready to take a punt on individuals. So Charlie Higson and I went to them with a load of characters we had developed. The tailors have been primarily based on my experiences as a teen shopping for garments in Edmonton Inexperienced, London. I keep in mind one man who was just a little overfamiliar. A hand would go into the waistband and he’d say: “Oooh, a bit roomy in there.” The catchphrase “Swimsuit you, sir!” is like outdated music corridor. My mum by no means favored these sketches.

Graham Linehan and Arthur Mathews got here up with Ted and Ralph: a younger aristocrat, his historical retainer, and the love that dare not communicate its title. I keep in mind taking part in the Ted and Ralph sketches for take a look at audiences and, actually, at first they have been totally bewildered. Really, Charlie and I felt the identical means after we watched them again within the edit. “What on earth was that about?” we questioned.

There was a number of pathos in some characters. That means we may go from knockabout to tragic – I don’t suppose it had been achieved earlier than in a sketch present. Rowley Birkin was impressed by a really posh man I had met on a fishing journey who I merely couldn’t perceive. I’d solely get each third phrase. I’d get into all of the gear then sit in a chair and simply ramble. Charlie would maintain up just a few key phrases and I’d bung them in wherever.

We have been fairly assured of this world we had created. Not in a smug means, however in a “We like what we’re doing, it doesn’t trouble us when you don’t” means. It didn’t matter if there wasn’t a setup or a punchline – and it didn’t trouble the viewers. We tried to not do too many topical gags, which is one motive why it appears to have lasted effectively.

When the primary episode went out, some individuals favored it, some have been confused, some hated it. We had a small cult following however it didn’t attain the mainstream. The second collection caught on, nevertheless. I’d get catchphrases shouted at me on the street: “Little bit whoa, little bit whey”; “Swimsuit you, sir.” Individuals beloved it. It’d be churlish to moan.

‘What would this used-car salesman not be interested in? Global warming’ … Simon Day as eco warrior Dave Angel.
‘What would this used-car salesman not be inquisitive about? International warming’ … Simon Day as eco warrior Dave Angel. Photograph: BBC

Throughout that second collection, Johnny Depp acquired in contact. He was borderline obsessive about the present. When we mentioned he may very well be in a sketch, he flew in and got here straight to the studio. Years later, once I did just a little cameo on a movie of his, I knocked on his dressing room door at eight within the morning – and he was watching Rowley Birkin. “Yeah man,” he mentioned. “I gotta have my Quick Present buzz within the morning.”

Simon Day

Author/performer

After I began out, I didn’t need to be a “Thatcher is unhealthy” standup. My forte was characters. So I used to be tailored for a sketch present.

It’s all the time been fairly wordy, my stuff, although. The others would say: “Your characters have to have a catchphrase.” John Thomson used to say: “Even James Bond has a catchphrase.” However mine didn’t. That was my stubbornness, or maybe simply my not understanding the format.

Dave Angel was loosely primarily based on Mike Reid, who was Frank Butcher on EastEnders. I used to be juxtaposing two very numerous concepts. What would this used-car salesman not be remotely inquisitive about? International warming. So it will be humorous if he was obsessive about it.

Aggressive Dad was impressed by a man I noticed at a swimming pool. He had two youngsters in water wings and he out of the blue raced off doing entrance crawl, the youngsters panting after him. When he acquired to the opposite finish, he had this crazed, triumphant glow in his eyes. I believed: “That's actually sick.” What’s bizarre is that my son acquired to a excessive stage taking part in soccer and I used to like taking him to matches. However you’d see a few of the different dads taking a look at me on the touchline pondering: “That bloke did that sketch – and he’s now shouting at his personal child.”

I don’t suppose the BBC would take an opportunity on one thing like that now. Paul and Charlie would ask: “However what’s the joke?” You couldn’t simply do one thing bizarre. Paul used to say: “I’m not right here to make Bob Mortimer chuckle. I need this to achieve success. Harry Enfield will get 10 million viewers!”

The Simon Day & Mates Tour, that includes characters from The Quick Present and extra, begins 29 September.

This text was amended on 26 September 2022 as a result of the catchphrase is “Swimsuit you, sir”, not “Fits you, sir”.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post