‘This gets the stinkfaces going!’: DJs on the tracks they are asked about the most

Sherelle

Set off Comfortable – Untitled

Permit Bandcamp content material?

This text consists of content material offered by Bandcamp. We ask in your permission earlier than something is loaded, as they might be utilizing cookies and different applied sciences. To view this content material,click on 'Permit and proceed'.

The observe I at all times get requested about is that this UK hardcore tune by an artist known as Set off Comfortable. I discovered them through Bandcamp. All of their tunes are known as Untitled, and that is the third tune on an EP that can also be known as Untitled. I’ve determined this observe has develop into my anthem now, it’s so euphoric; I at all times play it as my final tune. I closed my set at Dekmantel in Amsterdam, with it this yr. I used to be carrying a Netherlands soccer shirt and I took it off and swung it round as a result of I used to be having such time. It was my Chloe Kelly second. I performed it as soon as in entrance of [American DJs] Eris Drew and Octo Octa in Australia, they usually requested me about it. They stated they love euphoric tracks like this as a result of there’s one thing so queer about them, they evoke group and concord. However even when you’re not queer, it’s a really loving music – and love is a common language.

Errol and Alex Rita, Touching Bass

Ben Hauke – Flip It On

Ben Hauke: Flip It On – video

Generally we see the colourful blue of the Shazam once we’re DJing or generally you get folks that hover over the decks, within the entrance row, who attempt to learn the CDJ because it’s taking part in. There’s a complete assortment of how during which individuals attempt to pay money for this observe. However this is likely one of the ones that we love sharing. It comes from the compilation that we put out this yr and we had been take a look at driving it in our units to see individuals’s reactions earlier than we launched it. It’s not solely one among our favourites however the crowd’s. Everybody loves a killer bass line. When it drops, the palms go up within the air, it will get the stinkfaces going.

Norsicaa

Thep Thunder – Rap Kaek

Thep Thunder: Rap Kaek – video

Final yr I used to be cruising the web site of Zudrangma Information in Bangkok and thought I’d place a considerable order because it was going to price me about the identical delivery for 3 information as it could for 10. I’m fairly choosy however I used to be getting impatient so for giggles I added a 7in that claimed to be a Thai cowl of MC Hammer’s U Can’t Contact This. Anyway, once I lastly acquired the package deal I listened to it – hilarious – however on the B-side was this type of hip-hop beat with sitar, once more with this Thai vocalist Thep Thunder rapping excessive. It’s so catchy I’ve included it many occasions in my units.

The primary time I performed it within the UK, a south Asian couple ran as much as me and stated I used to be taking part in a canopy of one among Britain’s best Indian producers, Bally Sagoo, and that this music was a staple at each British Asian marriage ceremony within the 90s – the unique known as Gur Nalon Ishq Mitha.

The precise Thai music itself isn't Shazamable. It’s a bit quirk of music discovery that expertise isn’t at all times the factor that’s going to steer you there; it’s taking an opportunity on a B-side. Each time I play the unique or the Thai cowl, south Asian crowds go wild and new audiences come working to ask what this synth hip-hop masterpiece is. It makes me joyful to see individuals reliving nostalgic recollections or others discovering part of British musical historical past – through Thailand!

JD Twitch, Optimo

Mariah – 心臓の扉 (Shinzo No Tobira)

Mariah: Shinzo No Tobira – video

Jonnie [the other half of Optimo] and I found this within the Eurasia document store in Tokyo within the early 2000s. It was taking part in and we each concurrently raced to the counter to ask what it was. Fortunately that they had two copies. For years we had no concept of the title because the sleeve solely confirmed it in Japanese characters. It grew to become a cult favorite and phrase unfold and unfold. We began to get lots of individuals asking about it once we performed it. I shared an MP3 of the observe with some mates, and that MP3 discovered its strategy to YouTube, nonetheless with no English observe title, and it then took off – the translated title was added later. It's a sublimely stunning piece of timeless music that actually resonates with individuals. I misplaced out within the race to reissue it in 2015. The reissue helped spearhead an enormous curiosity in Eighties Japanese music, which is ongoing.

Coco María

Juan Pablo Torres – Cacao

Juan Pablo Torres: Cacao – video

The primary time I heard Cacao by Juan Pablo Torres was just a few years in the past at one among my first DJ units. I used to be taking part in again to again with Samy Ben Redjeb from Analog Africa at Fusion pageant close to Berlin. The timing was good, the get together was good and this music was every little thing I wished in life at that actual second. Samy shared the music with me – however with out the artist’s identify. Some good friend! For a few years I assumed I had one thing obscure and unreleased in my palms, and each time I performed it, individuals danced and obtained into it as a lot as I did – however I didn’t know the artist’s identify.

At some point in Mexico, I discovered this document and realised it was not an unknown artist as the unique MP3 stated, however the nice Cuban trombonist. I used to be joyful I obtained the vinyl and I carry it with me on a regular basis once I play. It's a enjoyable music: playful, theatrical. Folks let go and dance wildly. It begins with a buzzing, blurry scatting – in Spanish, we are saying canturreo – after which immediately it hits and you end up dancing to a Latin funk observe. Usually somebody asks for the title and I'm glad I can allow them to take a photograph of the document and unfold the enjoyment.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post