I went back to Courchevel 20 years after I was a chalet girl. Wow, it’s expensive

 'I certainly don’t remember living beneath a Chanel boutique – but that’s precisely what I find' (Picture: Supplied/Alamy)
‘I definitely don’t bear in mind dwelling beneath a Chanel boutique – however that’s exactly what I discover’ (Image: Equipped/Alamy)

The primary revelation comes when I attempt to monitor down the ski lodge I’d labored at. I’d lived there, too, in a tiny, windowless room within the constructing’s freezing basement. I definitely don’t bear in mind dwelling beneath a Chanel boutique – however that’s exactly what I discover. Subsequent door are Fendi, Hermès and Louis Vuitton.

Courchevel has modified past all recognition since I did a ski season right here in 2000. Le Kalico, the cavernous nightclub the place I misplaced numerous snowboard jackets, is lengthy gone, as are a lot of the low cost and cheerful bars the place I spent my meagre wages.

Many have been changed by luxurious motels such because the Aman Le Mélézin, the place rooms price about £865 an evening, and Bar de L’Apogée, the place fur-clad apres-skiers wash down £30 slices of avocado toast with jeroboams of champagne.

The slope-side delicacies has been upgraded, too – gone are a lot of the self-service mountain eating places I’d satisfied my mother and father to take me to after they got here out to see me (as a broke season employee, lunches on the mountain consisted of chunks of ham and cheese, snaffled from my lodge kitchen).

Twenty years later, I stumble throughout Le Chalet de Pierres restaurant, subsequent to the favored Verdons piste. My plan to wolf down an affordable burger are thwarted once I see the menu – advisable dishes embrace a £215 seafood platter. So I return to my chalet lady roots and snowboard all the way down to the primary resort to seize some bread and cheese from a grocery store.

Regardless of all this, Courchevel – and the broader Three Valleys – will at all times be my favorite ski space. Cruising down the blue-rated Biollay run, with the jagged define of Mont Blanc poking over the horizon, I bear in mind precisely why I like it a lot – the wide-open terrain and the implausible vary of runs, whether or not it’s the easy-going greens I cruise down when my legs are burning after a day on the slopes, or the difficult blacks (akin to Suisses, one of many resort’s hardest runs) I sort out very first thing.

France Savoie Courchevel 1850 centre of ski resort view on Grand Bec Peak in Parc National de La Vanoise (Alt :3398 m) and La Pointe du Vallonnet (Alt : 3372 m) at top massif of Vanoise Tarentaise valley
Courchevel is a well-liked resort within the Three Valleys (Image: Hemis/Alamy Inventory Photograph)

The scenery is insane (Picture: Baptiste Assemat)
The surroundings is insane (Image: Baptiste Assemat)

2DWW75H This photograph taken on December 15, 2020 shows the closed Chanel shop in the Alps resort of Courchevel. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the French government decided to maintain the ski lifts shut to allow winter sports to resume quickly, adding he hoped that restrictions could be lifted in January. Photo by Raphael Lafargue/ABACAPRESS.COM
The resort isn’t only for snowboarding anymore… (Image: Alamy Inventory Photograph)

I might fortunately spend a complete week snowboarding right here however a big a part of Courchevel’s enchantment is undoubtedly its place within the Three Valleys – the world’s largest ski space.

Buy a Three Valleys ski cross and also you’ll have entry to greater than 300km (186 miles) of slopes.

And exploring them is now even simpler. Inside the previous couple of years a brand new ten-person gondola, Le Praz, opened within the village of the identical identify, slightly below Courchevel. It’s a part of the sprawling, 18,000sq m (194,000sq ft) L’Alpinium advanced, which opened on the identical time. This smooth, stone-clad constructing has a sports activities centre, library, vacationer info centre and parking for 500 vehicles.

It’s a part of a resort-wide spruce-up previous to the 2023 Alpine World Ski Championships (the end line shall be subsequent to the constructing), though I believe it’s additionally an try to remind skiers that basing themselves in additional family-friendly, reasonably priced areas doesn’t imply sacrificing time on the slopes.

The gondola whisks me to the centre of Courchevel 1850 in simply over 5 minutes. Not that there aren’t reasonably priced lodging choices right here. I choose to remain in not too long ago refurbished, splendidly cosy Lodge Courchevel Olympic, a Ski France property.

I like it for varied causes – its implausible location, only a seven-minute stroll from La Croisette (the departure level for the Verdons and Chenus cable vehicles), the excellent employees and the attractive rooms. Though admittedly, I’d be hard-pushed to seek out one thing worse than a freezing bed room in a basement – even one under a Chanel boutique.

Seven nights at Lodge Courchevel Olympic from £776pp, skifrance.co.uk; flights from London to Geneva from £26.99 a method, from EasyJet.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post