2 Chainz and Lil Jon lead tributes as Three 6 Mafia rapper Gangsta Boo ‘dies aged 43’

ATLANTA, GA - SEPTEMBER 19: Gangsta Boo performs with Run The Jewels at Music Midtown at Piedmont Park on September 19, 2015 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Chris McKay/Getty Images for Live Nation)
Rappers have paid tribute to pioneering performer Gangsta Boo (Image: Getty Photographs North America)

Main names within the music trade have shared tributes for rapper Gangsta Boo following the Three 6 Mafia star’s ‘dying aged 43’.

On Sunday night it was reported the pioneering performer had died in Memphis, with collaborator DJ Paul sharing a picture of the rapper – also called Lola Mitchell – DJing, seemingly in tribute.

Underneath the picture, messages from fellow rappers and stars got here flooding in, with rapper 2 Chainz commenting: ‘Mannnn😢.’

Lil Jon added: ‘MAN WE WAS JUS TOGETHER 3 WEEKS AGO 🥲 REST WELL QUENN 🙏🏽.’

Ty Dolla $ign wrote on Twitter: ‘Lengthy reside my residence woman Gangsta Boo 🖤🤞🏾 Queen of the M,’ whereas Questlove added: ‘….Gangsta Boo. relaxation in melody.’

Alongside tributes and an outpouring of grief on social media, native press Fox 13 reported that Mitchell was discovered useless Sunday afternoon round 4:30pm native time, confirming the information ‘with three impartial sources’. At time of writing, Mitchell’s household or reps are but to substantiate her dying.

Gangsta Boo.
She was referred to as a pioneering voice of hip-hop (Image:: Jesse Grant/Getty Photographs for Republic Data)

Mitchell was referred to as a pioneering voice within the rap trade, after she linked up with Three 6 Mafia’s founding members together with Paul and Juicy J when she was simply 15 years previous in 1994, as one of many solely feminine members (with rapper Ok-9 additionally showing).

She featured on Three 6 Mafia’s first 5 studio albums, together with 1995 debut Mystic Stylez, in addition to Tear Da Membership Up Thugs, and Selections: The Album.

Alongside the group, she additionally had a profitable solo profession, releasing her most well-known music, 1998’s The place Dem Dollas At?

Mitchell left the group within the early 2000s, releasing one other solo album and several other mixtapes.

The rapper additionally labored with the likes of Gucci Mane, Lil Jon, OutKast, T.I., and The Recreation, whereas additionally collaborating with Killer Mike and El-P of their hip-hop duo Run the Jewels.

Chatting with Billboard not too long ago, Mitchell mirrored on her legacy and influence on feminine hip hop, musing ‘respectfully and humbly’ that she was the ‘blueprint’.

Gangsta Boo performs at The Run The Jewels conert.
She joined the group within the 90s whereas additionally releasing solo albums (Image: Prince Williams/Wireimage)

She mentioned: ‘I'd truthfully say that I've to confess, respectfully and humbly, that I'm the blueprint. I hear my cadence in numerous males and feminine rappers. It’s onerous to f****** deceive myself and says, “Oh wow, she’s from New York however she raps like she’s from Memphis. Oh wow, this individual is from f****** wherever, however they rap like they're from Memphis.” As a result of I’m not speaking about anyone specifically, however my sound is a Memphis sound. It’s a Gangsta Boo sound, it’s a Three 6 Mafia sound. So, I'm the blueprint and I put on that badge proudly as f***.’

Mitchell – who mentioned she was busy engaged on new undertaking The BooPrint – added: ‘I used to run away from it. I used to didn’t need to even give myself flowers as a result of I’ve been so low-key and humble, however I’m on some f*** that s***. It’s time to say what’s mine. I’m one of many fundamental b******. And it feels enjoyable to nonetheless have the ability to look good and be related in a spot the place I don’t have this million-dollar machine behind me and I've all my pure physique elements, no shade to those that don’t.

‘But it surely simply feels nice to face in your self and look within the mirror and be like, “Wow, you probably did that.” And never promote your soul and go to mattress at evening with a smile in your face. As a result of I don’t have any stress.’

Metro.co.uk contacted reps of Three 6 Mafia for remark.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post