Mum reveals how labour ‘made her blind’ and unable to see newborn

Sylvia with her cane, and with her children
Sylvia Chengo has had conversations along with her youngsters, Kai and Ari, about her eyesight (Image: Caters)

A younger mum has revealed how she misplaced her sight after giving beginning to her youngsters.

Sylvia Chengo, 34, first went blind after having her son, Kai, now eight years outdated.

Fortunately, the mum regained her imaginative and prescient, however when she had her daughter, Ari, now 4, she misplaced her capability to see as soon as once more.

Tragically, Sylvia remains to be unable to see correctly. Describing her imaginative and prescient she mentioned: ‘Proper now, it’s a blur. I can’t see the bottom nicely after I’m stood up or something additional than a metre.’

Since shedding her sight, Sylvia has managed to seek out methods to deal with on a regular basis life and repeatedly paperwork her journey on social media.

The mum-of-two was identified with an eye fixed situation throughout her childhood, but it surely was handled and hadn’t triggered her additional points, till she went into labour.

Sylvia out walking with her cane
Sylvia didn’t know what her new child seemed like (Image: @shehasvsn / CATERS NEWS)


The mum-of-two mentioned: ‘I by no means thought something drastic would occur to my imaginative and prescient.

‘Throughout childhood, it was stabilised. I had glasses and the whole lot was positive, right through to maturity.’

When Sylvia fell pregnant with Kai, she had no points.

She defined: ‘I had an everyday being pregnant with Kai, there was no illness, however I ended up having an emergency C-section.

‘When he was seven days outdated, I realised I couldn’t see too nicely and issues had been blurry, however I blamed it on not getting sufficient sleep.

‘I carried on taking care of my child and my mum got here and helped me as nicely. She advised me she seen I wasn’t doing an intensive job of cleansing him after altering nappies, after which after I tried to wash him with my mum serving to me, I realised I couldn’t see something in entrance of me and my imaginative and prescient had gone.

‘The medical doctors appeared bewildered.’

Sylvia was given treatment and fortunately, her lack of sight was non permanent – lasting round three weeks.

She says: ‘I may lastly see him correctly at six weeks outdated. He’d modified a lot!’

Sylvia and her children.
Her youngsters know that mum can’t all the time see nicely (Image: Caters)


‘He wasn’t a new child anymore. He had his eyes open and was trying straight at me.

‘However regardless that it acquired higher, my imaginative and prescient didn’t return to the way it was.’

Then, when Sylvia’s new child daughter was round six weeks outdated, she struggled to see once more.

She defined: ‘I had one other flare up when she was six weeks outdated, and once more when she was 9 months.

‘I acquired this haze of imaginative and prescient which was like a static in entrance of me, which was getting very intense, to the purpose the place I couldn’t even see my hand in entrance of my face.

‘It was only a regular day, I hadn’t achieved something out of the blue and I used to be simply making myself a cup of tea, I believed to myself that is it, my eyes have lastly given up.’

Sylvia has needed to undertake to her new diminished eye-sight. She mentioned: ‘I’ve discovered a approach round issues.

‘I nonetheless braid my daughter’s hair. It won't be neat, however I’m coping with it.

‘It’s complicated for them although as one second I can do sure issues, after which I can’t decide up their clothes for them, or play particular video games.

‘I couldn’t reply once they’d say, ‘Mummy have a look at this’, however I’ve had conversations with them about it, and my son particularly is aware of what occurs after I can’t see.

‘After I first began selecting him up from college, he would information me and inform me to watch out.

‘I really feel responsible I can’t simply up and go away with my children, or get into the automobile and go to a play centre and allow them to free, however I’ve learnt to simply accept what I can and may’t do.

‘My children are much more unbiased now, however as they’ve grown, they’ve include new challenges.

‘As an illustration, my daughter doesn’t like holding my hand as she’s getting older, so she wears a hi-vis jacket because it’s simpler to identify her.

‘I all the time advise them to maintain clear as I can’t assist them, so I’ve made positive they’re self-aware with grooming.

‘I all the time need them to be at their finest, so that they’ve learnt to verify themselves within the mirror, resembling having garments on the best approach round.’

Sylvia at an immersive art gallery with her cane
She shares her journey with blindness on social media (Image: @shehasvsn/Caters)

And Sylvia needs to interrupt stereotypes of blindness. She shares her experiences on social media as a solution to meet others and to be an inspiration for them.

She mentioned: ‘Folks inform me I don’t appear blind, but it surely’s as a result of they've an thought of what a blind particular person seems to be like or how they function.

‘I need to assist others perceive blindness is a spectrum and having a incapacity doesn’t imply you may’t stay your finest life, there are diversifications that may be made.’

‘For instance, I’ve learnt to make use of voiceover on my cellphone, and it reads out what’s on the display to me and I’ve additionally learnt tips on how to do my make-up with out a mirror, which is essential to me.’

Going forwards, Sylvia endeavours to stay her finest life, and ignores the trolls who really feel the necessity to touch upon her incapacity.

She added: “As I’ve turn out to be extra assured in my expertise, I rise up for myself. I get extra respect consequently.

‘Folks should be extra conscious of how they deal with others. I've individuals round me who assist me with the whole lot I need assistance with, however general I really like my independence.’

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post