Patrick Mahomes is ‘ready to go’ before AFC title game despite ankle injury

  • Chiefs quarterback is coping with sprained proper ankle
  • Kansas Metropolis face Cincinnati for place in Tremendous Bowl

The Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes went by means of a morning walkthrough on Wednesday and intends to observe as typical, elevating expectations that the All-Professional quarterback won't be slowed by his sprained ankle on this weekend’s AFC title sport in opposition to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Certainly on Wednesday, when requested concerning the Bengals sport, Mahomes sounded bullish.

“AFC championship week,” he mentioned. “Able to go.”

Mahomes was damage late within the first quarter of their divisional win over Jacksonville final Saturday, when Jaguars go rusher Arden Key landed on him. X-rays taken through the sport got here again detrimental, and Mahomes returned within the second half to guide his crew to a 27-20 victory and a spot within the Chiefs’ fifth straight convention title sport.

“It’s doing good,” Mahomes mentioned. “I’ve accomplished a number of days of remedy, a number of days of rehab. Excited to get on the observe area and sort of try it out and see the place I’m at. Nevertheless it’s feeling good up to now.

“I felt higher than I believed I used to be going to be after the sport. Transferring on it through the sport positively damage. However after the sport, I used to be in a position to relaxation it and sort of ice it up and do totally different stuff like that. I felt in a little bit bit higher place and clearly the subsequent morning felt a little bit bit higher, after which I’ve continued to get higher all through the week, so we’ll see how I really feel right this moment at observe.”

Mahomes additionally mentioned he was cautious of aggravating the harm.

“I’ll have to seek out methods to have the ability to push off and be capable to nonetheless make the throws the fitting manner,” he mentioned. “I’ll push it a little bit bit right this moment after which the subsequent day after which the subsequent day once more and see what I can do then. Not reaggravate the harm, clearly, however push it to see what I’ll be capable to do on Sunday.”

Mahomes mentioned the harm is much like one he performed by means of early within the 2019 season, when he got here again the next week to throw 4 landing passes in a win over the Raiders. The one distinction is it’s his proper, slightly than left, ankle.

It’s additionally not as unhealthy as a toe harm that Mahomes had earlier in his profession.

skip previous e-newsletter promotion

after e-newsletter promotion

“He had a pair accidents in school he fought by means of,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid mentioned. “Within the NFL, with all of the video games you play, very seldom do you get so far with out having one thing. That’s simply the way it goes.”

Reid mentioned he doesn’t anticipate holding Mahomes again in observe this week.

“Almost certainly he received’t simply do some. I don’t suppose I’m going to need to go there with that,” Reid mentioned. “I could have to drag him again a little bit bit. However understanding him, I feel he’s going to attempt to do all the pieces and we’ll see what he does.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post