My passport application was rejected because of my wheelchair

Joe Hardy rejected photo

You'll suppose that renewing a passport could be an easy course of, particularly now the web site lets you add your personal digital photograph – slicing out the necessity to go to your nearest photobooth.

Nonetheless, for me, as a full-time wheelchair consumer, it has been something however easy.

I nearly refused to imagine it once I acquired the e-mail confirming that the photograph for my new passport had been rejected. Particularly because the automated verify stated that it was tremendous.

Alas, no, an automatic e mail from the passport workplace stated that my photograph, with the handles of my wheelchair seen within the background, ‘didn’t meet the requirements set by the Worldwide Civil Aviation Organisation.’

My utility on-line confirmed the rationale for rejection: there was an ‘object within the background’, which I can solely assume have been my wheelchair handles, since there have been no different objects or folks current within the shot.

What adopted was an immense feeling of pure helplessness, coupled with absolute rage. My important mobility support had successfully been dismissed with the automated response implying that I might merely be photographed with out it – as if it was a decorative clock or potted plant. Effectively, no – it's an extension of me. It's my legs!

So, I rang the HM Passport Workplace to elucidate my state of affairs. They couldn’t assist me, besides to say that I would want to contact my GP and acquire a letter detailing my incapacity and why I wanted to be sat in my wheelchair for the photograph. The letter would then need to be posted, fairly than submitted digitally, simply so as to add to the inconvenience! 

After the decision, I used to be even angrier. I puzzled precisely why the handles of my chair have been so problematic as to require me to go to the added effort of involving my GP.

This was once I nearly reached breaking level. I rang my GP surgical procedure to request the required proof, solely to be advised that it was not potential to take action over the cellphone, and needed to fill in a web based type. 

Not solely that, however I used to be additionally knowledgeable there might be a cost connected to my request. Now, as somebody with a extreme type of cerebral palsy, which prevents me from having the ability to work, the spectre of an unknown cost on prime of what I had already paid for my passport shouldn't be fully insignificant to me. 

Moreover, I had no thought once I would obtain a response, and with continued emails from the passport workplace reminding me that I ‘should submit a brand new photograph,’ I grew to become more and more fearful that my utility could be cancelled if this was not resolved shortly.

In desperation, my mother and father determined to elevate and steadiness me on a stool, and after a number of makes an attempt, managed to get a suitable photograph. 

Joe Hardy with his passport
A non-disabled particular person would by no means need to ponder doing any of this (Image: Joe Hardy)

I felt a way of being degraded because of having to have my photograph taken on a really uncomfortable and unsuitable stool. I used to be actually being held in place by my dad who was out of shot whereas mum took the photograph.

Having gone by all this, my overwhelming query was: ‘Why?’ Why ought to wheelchair customers need to both pay to acquire and to submit proof to show that we’re disabled, or be compelled to take a seat precariously on a very unsuitable chair with the intention to fulfill the passport workplace? 

In spite of everything, a non-disabled particular person would by no means need to ponder doing any of this. In my opinion, the issue lies throughout the structural material of society. Wheelchair customers and disabled folks basically are sometimes perceived as an inconvenience to be managed, fairly than as human beings of equal societal price.

So, what may be performed? As a place to begin, I see no motive there couldn't be alterations made to worldwide aviation laws to permit disabled individuals who can not simply meet the photograph necessities to self-identify. Wheelchair customers mustn't need to go to the added effort and expense of getting to show that we're wheelchair customers when making an attempt to accumulate a passport.

The actual fact that my wheelchair handles have been seen in my preliminary (rejected) photograph needs to be proof sufficient.

In spite of everything, full-time wheelchair customers like me shall be turning as much as have our passports inspected whereas sitting in our chairs. Moreover, we'll all the time must be seen by a human, as E-Gates are inaccessible to us.

There may be additionally a wider problem past journey and aviation: the potential for continued marginalisation of wheelchair customers and different disabled folks from society. The MP-backed proposals for voter ID within the Elections Invoice threat disenfranchising anyone who's more likely to have issue acquiring a passport, notably if they don't have already got a driving licence. 

Moreover, the upcoming On-line Security Invoice will mandate the usage of age verification by official ID to entry sure elements of the Web. By my private testing, many of those apps are usually not designed for use whereas sitting down (one even instructs folks to face).

This offers rise to the chance that many non-ambulatory disabled adults may very well be minimize off from authorized content material, simply because, by no fault of our personal, we can not fulfil the necessities to be granted entry.

Disabled folks like me don't select to be disabled, however society frequently makes a continuing institutional resolution to both fake that we don't exist, or that we should slot in round socially constructed boundaries to equal entry. 

This should change, and I'll by no means cease campaigning to make that occur.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post