Experience: I’ve been a Queen lookalike for 50 years

My profession because the Queen’s lookalike may by no means have come about if I hadn’t come throughout an advert within the native paper in 1972. Caught for concepts for my husband Ken’s birthday, I examine artist Jane Thornhill’s portrait-painting service and thought, “Why not?”

I beloved the completed piece, and Jane requested if she might submit it for the Royal Academy’s Summer season Exhibition. They assumed the portray was of the Queen and contacted Buckingham Palace, who mentioned she hadn’t given a sitting. As portraits within the exhibition needed to be painted from life, Jane was disqualified.

When she arrived on the gallery to gather her work, she was pounced on by journalists. After that, my cellphone didn’t cease ringing – I used to be interviewed for newspapers, magazines and radio, and an agent mentioned my resemblance to the Queen could possibly be a money-spinner.

He wasn’t the primary individual to identify the likeness. On a visit to Greenwich once I was 11 or 12, a photographer requested if he might use me in some pictures, saying, “She appears like Princess Elizabeth.” Later, I’d draw crowds, particularly overseas, and generally needed to run away.

Signal as much as our Inside Saturday e-newsletter for an unique behind-the-scenes have a look at the making of the journal’s greatest options, in addition to a curated checklist of our weekly highlights.

The Queen and I have been born solely 18 months aside, and as we grew older our appears remained comparable – although I’m barely shorter. By the point the portrait provoked curiosity, I used to be in my 40s and my household had settled in a village close to Chelmsford. Earlier than I had youngsters, I’d labored as an au pair and a typist, however I’d all the time needed to behave. I’d been in newbie productions, had elocution classes and even handed an audition for Rada. However the charges have been too costly, plus my appears counted in opposition to me – it doesn't matter what function I took on, I’d hear feedback from the viewers, and generally even laughter.

However when the agent approached me, I realised there is likely to be a means of creating my resemblance to the Queen work in my favour. I signed with an company that provided fashions for adverts. After I appeared in a single with a stuffed corgi it induced controversy, with newspapers insisting the picture was disrespectful to the royal household. However I’ve all the time been a staunch royalist and respect the Queen – I'd by no means do something that mirrored badly on the monarch or myself. Through the years I’ve turned down massive sums to pose for Web page 3-type footage, and insisted I ought to by no means be launched because the Queen when making appearances. I don’t suppose anybody else had earned a residing by resembling somebody well-known earlier than – now there’s a complete business.

Over the following 40 years, I appeared on TV chatshows, opened supermarkets, assisted magicians and shot adverts all around the world. Bands needed me for music movies, and I handed out presents with Liberace and offered a silver disc to the band Queen. The one time Ken was impressed was when he acquired to fulfill Muhammad Ali, who had requested a photograph with me.

Comedians comparable to Joan Rivers employed me to wave from the royal field after they have been performing, and I lastly began to get appearing work. I labored with Sooty and Roland Rat, and I’m proud to have featured on Blue Peter. I sat in when the Spitting Picture crew have been modelling their puppet of the Queen, and contributed to candid camera-type exhibits and skits for the Goodies, the Rutles and Spike Milligan, although I gave quick shrift to Ali G when he requested me to drop my knickers as I acquired right into a limousine.

Ultimately Hollywood got here calling. Mike Myers was beautiful to me once I labored on Austin Powers, even after I mistook him for a member of the crew. Leslie Nielsen and Priscilla Presley have been charming when making Bare Gun. OJ Simpson was impolite, although – some actors didn’t realise how exhausting I labored. I’d spent hours perfecting the Queen’s voice and mannerisms, and stored abreast of royal developments so I might reference them in my speeches.

Just like the Queen, I’ve needed to rein in my public appearances not too long ago – if it wasn’t for my arthritis, I’d nonetheless be working. I retired in 2014, not lengthy after the Queen appeared with Daniel Craig on the London Olympics. Individuals have advised me that till her face was revealed, they have been anticipating it to be me. I gained’t be enjoying any half in her platinum jubilee occasion, both – I’m glad to observe it on TV like everybody else.

As advised to Chris Broughton

Do you've got an expertise to share? Electronic mail expertise@theguardian.com

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post