Thibaut Courtois plaque removed outside Atletico Madrid’s stadium after Real Madrid’s Champions League win

Thibaut Courtois helped Real Madrid beat Liverpool to win the Champions League
Thibaut Courtois helped Actual Madrid beat Liverpool to win the Champions League (PA Pictures)

Thibaut Courtois’ plaque has been ripped out at Atletico Madrid’s Wanda Metropolitano stadium following Actual Madrid’s Champions League success.

The previous Chelsea goalkeeper delivered a formidable efficiency within the Champions League closing on Saturday as his essential saves helped Actual Madrid safe a 1-0 win over Liverpool on the Stade de France.

Nonetheless, Courtois angered Atletico supporters throughout his post-match interview as he referenced their defeat to Actual Madrid within the 2014 Champions League closing.

‘I believe I mentioned yesterday within the press convention that when Madrid goes to finals, we win them. I’m on the nice facet of historical past,’ Courtois mentioned.

Courtois has a plaque exterior Atletico’s stadium as he's among the many gamers who've made at the very least 100 appearances for the membership.

However on Monday, Atletico president Enrique Cerezo gave supporters the go-ahead to do away with the plaque.

‘If you wish to take away Courtois’ plaque, go together with an axe and shovel and take away it,’ he instructed Spain’s COPE radio.

Thibaut Courtois' plaque was ripped out outside the Wanda Metropolitano
Thibaut Courtois’ plaque was ripped out exterior the Wanda Metropolitano (Marca)

Thibaut Courtois' plaque was placed among the Walk of Legends
Thibaut Courtois’ plaque was positioned among the many Stroll of Legends (Marca)

And that’s precisely what one Atletico supporter as completed as there's now a spot the place Courtois’ plaque was positioned within the Stroll of Legends a part of the stadium.

Courtois spent three seasons with Atletico, serving to the membership win La Liga, the Copa Del Rey and the Europa League throughout his time on the membership.

In the meantime, Courtois additionally hit out on the criticism he confronted from English media after successful the Champions League.

‘I noticed quite a lot of tweets coming my means at present saying that I might be humbled, however I believe it was the opposite means round,’ he mentioned.

‘At present I wanted to win a closing for my profession, for all of the exhausting work – to place respect on my title as a result of I don’t assume I've quite a lot of respect in England.’

.

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post