Dustin Johnson explains decision to resign from PGA Tour and sacrifice Ryder Cup

Dustin Johnson
Dustin Johnson has featured on the PGA Tour since 2007 (Image: Getty)

Two-time main champion Dustin Johnson has resigned from the PGA Tour to play within the LIV Golf Invitational Collection.

The American, 37, introduced final week he would function within the Saudi-backed insurgent tour’s first occasion on the Centurion Membership in St Albans, having beforehand spurned their advances.

LIV Golf’s inaugural match is because of start on Thursday with a handbag of practically £20million up for grabs.

Lee Westwood
Lee Westwood may even play at LIV Golf’s first occasion (Image: Getty)

Fellow insurgent Kevin Na revealed on Saturday he had resigned from the PGA Tour forward of the occasion in Hertfordshire and now Johnson, who has received $74m throughout his profession, has adopted swimsuit.

Johnson mentioned: ‘Clearly right now it’s arduous to know what the results will probably be however proper now, I reign my membership from the (PGA) Tour.

‘I’m going to play right here for now, and as for the results I can’t touch upon how the tour goes to deal with it.

‘I don’t need to play for the remainder of my life, this offers me a possibility to do what I need to do.’

By giving up his membership of the PGA Tour, Johnson has excluded himself from Ryder Cup choice.

The 2020 Masters champion has been on the successful facet for america twice earlier than, together with ultimately 12 months’s version at Whistling Straits.

He added: ‘The Ryder Cup is unbelievable and has meant lots to me, however in the end I made a decision this was greatest for me and my household.

‘All issues are topic to vary and hopefully in some unspecified time in the future it should change and I'll get an opportunity to try this once more.’

.

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post