One weekend, six events, one very frazzled journalist: my gruelling tour of UK festivals

Festivals are again, child! It has been a couple of years. What even is a competition? That one’s straightforward: it's a assortment of musical performances on a farm, throughout which you lose your cellphone and your folks and it rains. As we emerge from a pandemic by which strangers have been considered as a hazard, in a time of political polarisation and fragmented micro-subcultures, are individuals nonetheless inquisitive about coming collectively for occasions like this? What's a competition for, within the UK, lately?

To seek out out, I've determined to cross the nation, taking in as numerous a competition expertise as attainable. I might be hitting six of them in a single financial institution vacation weekend (which now I’ve written it down, looks as if a mistake). There’ll be cowboys and punks and residential counties youngsters in Adidas trackie tops. I’m going to eat horrible meals, dance to music I don’t get pleasure from, and discuss to as many individuals as I can. I wish to know why they've sought out these fields of Britannia, and what they hope to seek out. I additionally wish to know the way a lot the beer prices, and if the bogs are the hellholes I bear in mind. I don't wish to get rained on.

Day 1

Jubilation, London

Nutty dressers … Rhik starts his festivals odyssey at Madness’s Jubilation event in London.
Nutty dressers … Rhik begins his festivals odyssey at Insanity’s Jubilation occasion in London. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

I'm at Jubilation, a competition to mark the start of the Jubilee financial institution vacation weekend. It's a sunny day, I'm surrounded by smiling faces, however I enter on edge. Flag-waving provides me the platinum heebie-jeebies. Anticipating a sea of union jack caps and pink faces, I'm shocked to see relatively extra pink fezzes: the uniform of Insanity followers. Jacqueline from Derby has seen immediately’s headline act 18 occasions for the reason that age of 9. “I assumed there’d be extra pink, white and blue,” agrees her fellow festivalgoer Suzanna. “However it’s fairly monochrome. Or two-tone, just like the ska factor.” I suppose music trumps monarchy.

Signal as much as our Inside Saturday e-newsletter for an unique behind-the-scenes have a look at the making of the journal’s largest options, in addition to a curated checklist of our weekly highlights.

Policemen gamely maintain cameraphones, and take group photographs. A beer prices £7, and the bogs are in good nick. The most important queue is for churros: somewhat sugar to stability the Nutty Boys. I dance with a girl from Ruislip on a log, and realise I’m having enjoyable. The very best festivals do that: give life to the adage that strangers are merely buddies we haven’t but met. The belief is sweet vibes; one thing that units it other than our on-line lives, the place we assume each stranger is an unsolicited assault we haven’t but met.

Rhik at Jubilation festival.
Whirly gig … Rhik on the Jubilation competition. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

Log lady retains dancing as I take a breather and discuss to her pal. Had been they involved about being in crowds once more, after successive lockdowns? “I haven’t given it a second thought,” log lady’s pal Sharon admits. She’s reassured by mass immunity, and rising data about Covid. “That is regular: individuals being collectively.” She gestures to the throng of inebriates, swaying to No Lady, No Cry. “What we went by within the pandemic, that was … ” Insanity? I recommend. She laughs. Banter unites all tribes.

Martin, additionally down from Derby, has mixed his pursuits by sporting a union jack fez. Why is he right here? “As a result of we may be. The world is unlocked!” He loves the sensation of individuals introduced collectively like this, for a single goal. The aim itself is much less necessary. Together with his north African hat, clear blue eyes and broad smile, Martin’s pleasure at being right here is infectious, and I loosen up. “Simply seeing the fence will get me excited!” I increase an eyebrow. “You realize you’re at a competition once you see the fence,” he explains. Can’t argue with that. Possibly – simply perhaps – that is going to be one of many nice weekends.


Day 2

Buckle & Boots, Stockport; Slam Dunk, Leeds

Rhik at Buckle & Boots.
Yeehaw agenda … Rhik saddles up at Buckle & Boots. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

I'm up shiny and early, which is a mistake, because the practice to Manchester is cancelled. The seats on the following service are all double-reserved, and the politely seething recreation of musical chairs that ensues is extra British than something I noticed yesterday. I might have performed with extra sleep, I feel, as we pull into Marple Bridge, close to Stockport, for Buckle & Boots, a rustic music competition. I’m not sporting both.

It’s like stepping again in time, or at the very least sideways. A saloon city within the previous west. A fella sporting naught however dungarees strides previous. There are girls in tasselled boots and Daisy Duke shorts. Canines sport neckerchiefs. A silver resin cow stands on the prime of a rubble highway, off which open-sided barns act as phases. There are a handful of merchandise stalls, so I purchase a big black cowboy hat to mix in.

Barefoot Blue Jean Night time by Jake Owen performs by audio system. The quantity drops as Derby-based songwriter Kezia Gill mounts a double-decker bus stage. She sings Superb Grace, with superb grace. Karl Hancock owns the farm right here, and admits he’d by no means been to a competition earlier than he organised one. He’s performed a strong job, by which I imply the bogs are nice. Metallic flooring, correct partitions. By the stage, an indication reads “Let’s get somewhat day drunk”, and it’s arduous to sum up festivals higher.

Singer Kezia Gill with Rhik at Buckle & Boots.
Singer Kezia Gill with Rhik at Buckle & Boots. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

Handyman Tim, from Dorset, remembers assembly Johnny Money and Dolly Parton at a rustic present at Wembley stadium when he was 10. “Big stars can be strolling round earlier than the present.” The magic of small festivals is that they preserve this levelling of the sphere. Punters rub alongside artists hanging round earlier than units, or getting on it with their mates. I stumble upon William Michael Morgan, tonight’s huge act and one of many solely different cowboy hat-wearers right here. Today nation followers put on baseball caps, he tells me. Tall, good-looking, with a Mississippi drawl, he’s very cool. I could as nicely be cosplaying as a morris dancer. We pose subsequent to somebody sporting an Elizabeth II face masks. “All hail the Queen!” Morgan smiles. “Is that what you guys say?” We undoubtedly don’t say that, I inform him.

It's possible you'll know a rustic fan by the vans they maintain. Outdoorsy individuals all the time have nice cell houses, fashions of sensible ingenuity. I take a fast tour of the campsite. There are custom-fitted Ford Transits, and a swoonsome 24ft Airstream. Exterior their tent, a pair supply me a cream scone. How do they maintain the cream chilly? Mark, identified to his buddies as Stretch, reveals me a cool field with 5 frozen bottles of water inside. “Even when the field is simply too sizzling to sit down on, inside it stays chilly for 5 days.” High tip. However I've to maintain shifting.

Rock around the clock … Rhik at Slam Dunk.
Rock across the clock … Rhik at Slam Dunk. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

I soar on one other practice. It's half the variety of carriages it needs to be, seat reservations being as soon as once more the true wild west. I’m heading to Leeds, for punk and hardcore competition Slam Dunk. It’s intimidating. The primary particular person I see on the competition is sporting a T-shirt that reads, “Dying slowly is dying lonely.” But they're standing beside an enormous pink double-decker that solely sells British fudge: to my thoughts, the least hardcore of the confectionery choices (Bitter Jawbreakers in all probability probably the most).

Why do individuals like this screamy music, I ask one festivalgoer. “Why does anybody like something?” they reply, which is honest sufficient, actually. “It’s aggressive, however it’s additionally constructive,” displays one other reveller. “My whole shoe is filled with snakebite and black,” he provides, as a separate level.

Finding emo … Slam Dunk.
Discovering emo … Alexisonfire play the Slam Dunk competition. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

I do love the theatricality of this subculture, the dramatic eye make-up and gothic cabaret costume up. Among the individuals listed below are spectacular. I’m asking a glamorous cartoon witch the place Slam Dunk is situated on the hardcore spectrum, when a person interrupts us, nervous however eager. “You seem like Jemmy LaVey, the tattoo artist,” he says, twice. LaVey screams and lets him know that is his fortunate day. I’ve misplaced my drink, so her pal pours hers into my mouth. I suppose the pandemic is over.

There's one other kind of particular person with whom I’m fascinated. It's the one who turns as much as metallic gigs in, for instance, a Ben Sherman shirt. Is that this a normcore factor? Do they love the music, not the life-style? I strategy a man in Oakley shades and ask what’s occurring. He’s Belgian, he tells me, right here on a stag do. The remainder of the get together flip up. “Would you like me to dropkick the stag?” one asks me. He launches himself in the direction of a gentle-looking blond man, kicking him within the chest with each ft. The blond man flies backwards, however then will get up placidly. It's spectacular, and for some purpose very humorous. Seems they’re all stunt performers. What’s your favorite a part of this competition? I ask sun shades man. “The mosh pit,” he smiles. I ought to have seen it coming.

There's a mosh pit taking place, which I shortly resolve shouldn't be for me. If I’m going to have my head kicked in, I don’t need it to be to a soundtrack of Sum 41. Plus, I’m solely midway by my competition odyssey and already very drained. Step rely for the day: 16,000.


Day 3

Mighty Hoopla, London; Creamfields, Chelmsford

Rhik and revellers at the Mighty Hoopla in south London.
Rainbow alliance … Rhik and revellers on the Mighty Hoopla in south London. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

At this level it needs to be famous that I hate festivals. After I was younger I wished to face out from the gang, not be in a single. I've nearly accepted my ordinariness now, however nonetheless discover humanity en masse to be smelly and thoughtless. However even I've to confess everybody at this occasion smells good.

Mighty Hoopla is a two-day 90s-themed queer competition in south London’s Brockwell Park. Lately it has gained a status for being an alternate Pleasure, and the primary act I see is gender-bending drag, with full-frontal nudity. Engaging gender-nonconforming redheads in mesh tops sass previous. It’s good to be at an occasion the place everybody makes an effort. There wasn’t even a mirror within the males’s room at Buckle & Boots; the largest queue right here is for the glitter-painting studio.

Pretty in pink … glittery face-painting at Mighty Hoopla.
Fairly in pink … glittery face-painting at Mighty Hoopla. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

Friday was messy, apparently. It was an ideal environment, although, notes Hoopla’s fire-safety officer Bradley. “Males in bras, in all places you look a unique color, individuals up in timber.” He was once within the London fireplace brigade, and now works occasions. Sophie, sitting below a tree together with her fiancee Jenny, isn’t prepared for crowds. There was a Bognor Regis Hoopla in January, the primary with out Covid-test entry necessities. It was overwhelming, she says. However immediately is calmer, and everybody has their very own perspective to danger. Sophie’s sister, who's 37 weeks pregnant, is at the moment in the midst of a heaving tent close by, watching 90s woman band Cleopatra coming at her.

What’s it like enjoying a competition? I head backstage to vox-pop some VIPs. “It is a time capsule,” says Kate Nash dreamily. She final performed right here in 2019, and returning is closing a loop. I don’t ask Macy Grey something, as a result of I’m too intimidated. I see somebody I do know. Rebecca Lucy Taylor, AKA Self Esteem, AKA Madonna-but-funny. It’s been disorienting watching a pal turn into the most effective pop star within the nation, however fairly helpful. I feel she wants a wee, however I pepper her with questions as an alternative, as a result of that’s what fame boils right down to.

Festivals are particular, she hums, as a result of a crowd has chosen to see an artist, in a really explicit temper. “Everybody’s out-of-office is on, and there’s a heat, balmy hedonism they wish to have. Soundtracking that seems like making life a film.”

No heat, balmy hedonism for me. My Hoopla expertise ends in tragedy, at a stall the place festivalgoers can swap their footwear for competition Crocs. The commerce is supposed to be non permanent, however I take mine away to have some photographs taken with drag queens, and put my trainers down. By the point I bear in mind, they're lengthy gone. I Marie Kondo’d my wardrobe lately, which means they have been my favorite and, crucially, solely sneakers. However it’s already time to maneuver on – to the scariest place on Earth.

Rhik at Creamfields.
In tents diploma … Rhik at Creamfields. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

I arrive at a discipline in Chelmsford with a 50,000 capability, beats pumping out of a sound system the scale of a Demise Star. Creamfields South is an digital dance music competition and religious house to larger boys. I've turned up hungry and unhappy and sporting sea-green Crocs adorned with plastic cherries. It’s already night, so individuals right here look as drained as me, eyes coming out of their heads or staring into area. There’s loads of litter, and couples mendacity down stroking one another.

There's chaos right here, particular last-night-of-festival vibes. Earlier, a person working from safety bought tripped up and caught with 500 of one thing up his arse, a guard tells me. How is there room for 500 of something in there? Undercuts and bucket hats are the boys’ uniform, or Balmain T-shirts. The women put on psychedelic bodycon clothes and look freezing. Everyone seems to be having an unimaginable time, although, and has infinite vitality.

Rhik and new pal Sonny at Creamfields.
Gurn, gurn, gone … Rhik and his new pal Sonny at Creamfields. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

This isn't my form of place. But Creamfields is an establishment, having staged occasions in 24 nations over 24 years. Within the single night I’m right here, I might catch Calvin Harris, Carl Cox, Deadmau5, Fisher, Armand Van Helden or Paul van Dyk. There are DJ units from Faithless and Idris Elba. Peter Tong is right here. The very fact I do know who these persons are is testomony to the extraordinary energy of its lineup. For lots of the younger dance followers right here, that is the centre of the Earth. There’s no queue in any respect for the bar, or meals.

However can a competition be too huge? “It’s a bit moody,” agree among the older dance followers I meet. They like the smaller, sun-kissed vibe of Ibiza weekenders at golf equipment akin to DC10. I've to confess among the boys are a bit pumped up and shouty. There’s no queue in any respect for the bar, or meals. Campers will need to have introduced their very own provides in. Rylan is name-checking the competition sponsors from the loudest, tallest screens I've ever seen. He seems to be crystal sharp. In case you like intense gentle reveals, huge beats and promoting, get your self right here. I don’t like every of these issues (although I do like Rylan). Ultimately, I've an existential meltdown within the bogs, which haven't any paper and are overflowing with cans of Strongbow Darkish Fruits, used sanitary towels and a great deal of little freezer luggage, which is bizarre. Possibly individuals introduced oven chips in, and that’s why they’re not hungry.


Day 4

In It Collectively, Port Talbot

Soggy bottom boy … Rhik at In It Together.
Soggy backside boy … Rhik at In It Collectively. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

A protracted journey to Port Talbot, on the coast of south Wales. The practice carriages aren’t labelled, so I don’t know which aspect my reservation is in and wedge myself in amongst some soccer followers. Immediately is a big match, Wales v Ukraine. However I’m travelling to In It Collectively, a brand new competition targeted on group. It’s the final leg of my odyssey.

There are teething issues with the water provide, I’m advised. However the competition has a superb coronary heart. There’s a DJ referred to as Homebass working out of the again of a van … which is simply humorous. The music goals to cater to all tastes. A children’ steeplechase occasion is in course of. “I wouldn’t deliver my children to a competition. I do know what goes on,” says one of many DJs, as we munch flatpack burgers. Overheard conversational snippet of the day: “Don’t put me on any socials!” “Don’t fear, no person needs you on there.”

Issues are nervy within the occasions trade. I had deliberate on attending a unique competition immediately, however it was cancelled. Some have gone bankrupt. The remaining are off form placing on occasions at scale, or their employees are new to it. Loads of lighting designers and related artists have been out of labor for a yr, and located different jobs. We can't take as a right this coming collectively of individuals, and its life-giving qualities.

Wrist of fun … Rhik’s six wristbands from four days of festivals.
Wrist of enjoyable … Rhik’s six wristbands from 4 days of festivals. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

Festivals are websites of communal and joyous togetherness, however may deliver up troublesome emotions. The Samaritans’ competition department has been going for 50 years, and is a vital, constant presence at occasions from Creamfields to biker fests. “There’s the Billy No-mates feeling, that you just’re the one one not having enjoyable,” says a volunteer (I can relate). “Folks fall out with companions. Or they arrive in at 2am when their buddies are sleeping, they usually can’t.”

As if to treatment the water provide points, the heavens open. Is there a extra miserable sight than a bouncy fortress being taken down? I search solace in a wellness tent. Osteopath Lucinda Morgan rocks my physique on a therapeutic massage desk. Rain beats on the canvas like white noise, and I begin to go out. I discover myself fascinated by what St Martin-in-the-fez stated about having fun with the fence. At festivals, time is centred on pleasure, the way in which it was as a baby. Boundaries are a vital a part of that freedom.

A holistic body treatment at In It Together.
Chakra can … Rhik enjoys a holistic physique remedy at In It Collectively. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

My reverie is damaged by a roar. As Morgan realigns my C7, Gareth Bale’s free kick deflects in off Yarmolenko’s head, sending Wales to the World Cup. For the primary time in 64 years. I am going exterior and take within the pandemonium.A blond man opens his naked chest to the torrential rain, screaming. There's singing, flag-waving. Hordes stampede by the mud, a single circulate with an obscure agenda, or simply carried alongside by the gang. It’s a historic second. However I’m very chilly. “We're on this collectively!” roars an MC from the stage. I wish to be in my flat, alone.

The practice house is once more rammed, this time with soccer followers consuming kebabs. The environment is totally different now the competition is over. The Welsh and Ukrainian followers reward one another’s keepers, present respect and solidarity. It’s touching. Though they're smelly and noisy and there are too a lot of them, persons are OK. Nonetheless, it’s time to go house. My garments are soaked, I’m talked out, and sitting 4 ft from vomit. By no means once more. If somebody has my sneakers, please can I've them again?

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post