I’ve changed more lives as a tarot card reader than as a social worker

Miranda with her deck
Miranda has been studying tarot since she was 15 (Image: Brenna Duncan)

I used to be preparing for one more day as a social employee in summer season 2018, battling to seek out housing for one in all my care leavers who was turning 18, after I opened the e-mail from a tarot studying consumer I had seen the day earlier than.

My studying, she mentioned, was ‘massively inspiring’ and had given her the boldness to restart a enterprise she had deserted attributable to a sequence of traumatic occasions in her life. 

‘You mentioned you noticed fruit timber and herbs throughout me and little jam pots – I used to run an natural condiments store. I had been pondering of restarting it however I’d misplaced confidence – now I feel I’ll look into it once more’, she wrote.

Instantly, I felt that jolt of pleasure, like after I had solved an issue for one in all my youngsters in care. I’d not lengthy been studying for strangers, so it was reassuring that the intuitive messages I had been receiving for family and friends since I used to be a teen translated to everybody I learn tarot for.

And it occurred to me that tarot studying isn't that dissimilar to social work. 

Other than addressing safeguarding points, a whole lot of social work is about empowering folks to make useful modifications to their lives and to provide them the boldness to obtain objectives that will enhance their lives – which additionally occurs to be what most individuals take away from a modern-day tarot studying.

Tarot readings have a repute for being secretive or mysterious methods of ‘telling the longer term’ and plenty of persons are scared they'll get ‘dangerous playing cards’ or be instructed one thing terrible. However any respected tarot reader nowadays will give attention to strengths, positives and methods of inspiring somebody to make essential modifications to their lives, fairly than predicting doom and gloom or summary statements that depart you questioning, like ‘you'll have 5 youngsters’.

Miranda's tarot deck
Any respected tarot reader nowadays will give attention to strengths, positives and methods of inspiring somebody to make essential modifications to their lives (Image: Brenna Duncan)

Social work in a neighborhood authority was not how I assumed it will be as a fresh-faced 39-year-old recruit, getting down to remedy the world’s issues. I loved working with youngsters leaving care as a result of they had a lot power and enthusiasm.

However there was a lot time spent filling in paperwork and begging managers at ‘useful resource conferences’ for help for acceptable assist packages, alongside troubleshooting points with advantages, that I hardly received to spend any high quality time with the younger folks on my caseload.

Most of them had been ‘within the system’ for years, experiencing a number of placement and college strikes, bereavement and loss, and in some instances legal or sexual exploitation. 

miranda cook
Whereas I used to be recovering and in search of a brand new job, I turned again to tarot (Image: Brenna Duncan)

One way or the other it was my job as ‘their newest social employee’ to befriend them, assist them and set them up for profitable independence in a brief period of time. It was the toughest job I’d ever had – relentless and exhausting. 

After three years, I used to be burnt out and I needed to depart. The thanks playing cards from the younger folks I’d supported after I left made me cry.

Whereas I used to be recovering and in search of a brand new job, I turned again to tarot. I’d at all times had a deck at hand since I used to be 15 years previous, when my mum handed me hers. I didn’t even know she learn the tarot and we by no means actually mentioned religious points.

I studied the system in my haunted bed room (when redecorating my mother and father had discovered pages of the Bible and an exorcism certificates beneath the wallpaper) and I had began gathering totally different tarot decks shortly after. 

I discovered the essential which means of the playing cards in round a 12 months, however now I’ve been studying for 30 years, I discover there's nonetheless extra to study, the symbology is so huge.

When I received used to utilizing them, it was as if the playing cards had been having a dialog with me, speaking some sense into me about my loopy plans and concepts, and after I learn for buddies, issues I had predicted of their readings began occurring.

I instructed one good friend she can be emigrating after which have a problem with ‘two bosses’, which might then trigger her to go away – inside three months she was on the telephone from America, saying she was shifting jobs as a result of horrible workplace politics between two senior males in her group.

miranda cook's tarot deck
I imagine the intention to attach is all it's essential tune into the power round one other particular person (Image: Brenna Duncan)

But it surely wasn’t till the Covid lockdowns that I made a decision to behave on my ardour for tarot and open a web based tarot and oracle store, The Wootique London.

It ought to have been scary to take a position all my financial savings into an concept that got here to me out of the blue, however preparations for opening the store simply appeared to fit into place with none points in any respect. I felt excited, it was just like the universe was prepared me on and telling me there have been different methods to assist folks.

I tapped right into a worldwide neighborhood of tarot readers on Instagram and my tarot readings grew to become extra fashionable too, as I used to be in a position to provide them over electronic mail.

Folks ask me ‘how are you going to learn tarot for somebody who isn’t there?’, however I imagine the intention to attach is all it's essential tune into the power round one other particular person, so long as they consent.

One man got here to me for his first ever studying. I noticed that he was going to be requested to re-apply for his personal job, and that he ought to transfer to a special firm as an alternative – once more he contacted me to let me know that his firm had been restructured and as an alternative of getting down about it, he had taken the tarot’s recommendation and utilized for a brand new job, which turned out to be a lot better paid.

In fact, I’m not saying that tarot needs to be adopted to the letter. All of us have free will and you must use your individual discernment. Nevertheless, I discovered driving the wave of positivity you are feeling after consulting the playing cards will be step one to creating some constructive life modifications.

I nonetheless do work half time in a charity social work function as a result of it’s my calling to assist others, however I really imagine I might help simply as many individuals change their lives with tarot as in social work – and it’s my intention to supply the instruments of change to as many individuals on the market as doable.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post