You be the judge: do I have to tell my girlfriend every detail about my friend’s stag do?

The prosecution: Luke

I'm not going to behave like a youngster on this vacation. Raye ought to have extra belief in me

My associate Raye is a bit iffy about me happening an upcoming boys’ vacation to Ibiza. It’s a stag do and she or he’s nervous I’ll go off the rails.

I’ve been on stags with the fellows earlier than and so they do get a bit wild. Final 12 months, in Greece, one pal ended up in hospital after he drunkenly climbed up a lamp-post and fell off.

Now Raye is being a bit controlling. I’m shocked, as we’re typically actually open with one another. She’s by no means been suspicious about my holidays earlier than: she’s not the kind. On this journey I’m the most effective man. Raye thinks I’m going to be chief mischief-maker but it surely’s really the other. I’ll be busy arranging issues so received’t be as free because the others.

She has just lately demanded to know all the main points for this journey. She stated: “It’s a stag do – I understand how issues can get out of hand.” She needs to know the place I’m staying, what actions I’ve deliberate. She additionally needs common calls.

I stated to Raye: “I’ll be sober to maintain everybody in verify. Ibiza received’t even be enjoyable for me.” However she’s nonetheless anxious. We’ve been collectively since we have been 16, now we’re virtually 30. We’ve lived collectively for eight years and issues are actually good.

I feel Raye’s nerves may come from the time when, on a vacation to Ibiza with the lads shortly after she and I received collectively, I kissed one other lady. I used to be drunk. I got here again and informed her instantly, as I felt terrible. In my defence, I used to be very younger and silly, however I shouldn’t have executed it.

We almost broke up, however Raye forgave me. It was a one-off. I’ve been away with the identical boys a number of instances since, however by no means again to Ibiza. Possibly Raye thinks I’m returning to the scene of the crime. However I need to marry her; nothing in me needs to cheat once more.

I feel deep down she is aware of this. Belief hasn’t been a problem since that one foolish mistake, however instantly it’s an issue. Raye must chill out and bear in mind the place we're in our relationship. I’d by no means do something to jeopardise what we've. Simply because I’m happening a stag do to Ibiza, doesn’t imply I’m going to revert again to the immature teenager I as soon as was.

The defence: Raye

Luke could be fairly simply swayed, so I need to know extra about his vacation plans. It’s solely truthful

Luke and I normally have an awesome relationship. I don’t have an issue with him going away – it’s simply this specific group of lads on stag-dos.

Final time, when Luke’s pal ended up in hospital in Greece, I known as him to see what was happening and he was so drunk together with his mates in A&E. I believed: “Oh my God, that is the state you get yourselves into when the girlfriends aren’t round.” It was humorous but additionally regarding.

I’m sounding like a boring Becky, however I do assume these lads are a little bit of a legal responsibility when they're collectively. Our pal group is sort of tight – there are about six couples. When the boys are away, the women gossip about what they’re as much as on WhatsApp. We’re like: “Have you ever spoken to them immediately?” or “Did you see that Instagram story?” Solely as a result of we all know what they’re like. I don’t assume anybody’s cheated in recent times, however you by no means know.

When Luke and I have been 18 years previous, he got here again from a visit to Ibiza and informed me he’d kissed somebody when he was drunk on an evening out. We broke up for a number of months, however I took him again as a result of I really like him.

I settle for that he’s modified since then – it was greater than 10 years in the past now – however a part of me does fear now that he’s going again to Ibiza. I normally don’t have an issue together with his weekends away, however that is totally different.

Luke is the most effective man so he’s going to really feel strain to plan some wild actions. He could be simply swayed at instances and can need to impress the others. After all I haven’t stated he can’t go, however I've requested for a bit extra element about his plans. He says I’m being extreme, but it surely’s solely truthful.

I belief him, however I need to know the place he and his mates are staying and in the event that they’re going to strip golf equipment. I received’t ban him from going or attempt to dictate his schedule however I need to know what he’s doing. It's going to make me really feel safer. If Luke doesn’t need to inform me something, I’ll most likely get in a little bit of a huff. He says I’m overreacting, however he wants to chop me some slack. Any associate who has as soon as been cheated on would react the identical manner as me.

The jury of Guardian readers

Ought to Raye again off on the stag do scrutiny?

Raye is just not responsible. Luke acknowledges that a number of components of the stag do may trigger her some unease. On condition that considered one of these elements is his earlier indiscretion (albeit a very long time in the past) he might be a bit extra understanding of her anxieties.
Mark, 39

Raye is being overly paranoid – Luke’s drunken kiss from 12 years in the past is a weak justification for her suspicious angle. If she actually forgave him, why is identical mistrust creeping in now? I counsel Raye takes a breather and trusts that Luke could be trusted to have enjoyable.
Jess, 25

I can perceive Luke’s have to spend time together with his mates, though they often act like youngsters, however I additionally share Raye’s issues. Raye has not vetoed Luke’s participation on the stag – she has requested to learn of the deliberate actions. That's not unreasonable.
David, 75

Raye appears satisfied that one thing very dangerous will occur. However Luke and his mates are adults and liable for their very own mishaps. Demanding check-up calls dangers eroding belief relatively than constructing it.
Katie, 31

Precedent is taking part in out earlier than Luke and he ought to compromise to make Raye really feel much less (justifiably) anxious about this journey. He additionally shouldn’t declare that he'll keep fully sober – being open and trustworthy, which is what Raye wants, will assist each events.
Tom, 30

You be the decide

So now you could be the decide. In our on-line ballot under, inform us: ought to Luke have to inform all the main points of his pal’s stag do to Raye?

The ballot is now closed

Final week’s consequence

We requested whether or not Hamish ought to make espresso for Steve within the mornings.

36% of you stated no – Hamish is just not responsible
64% of you stated sure – Hamish is responsible

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post